Aftermarket Light Modified Choke Recommendations

MrBot

..looking to fit my Mossberg Classic 12 ga & Mossberg Field 20 ga with the above chokes. There are plenty of choices out there & no shortage of opinions on what's good vs what's a waste of $. Flush? Extended? Ported? Plus, I don't always "get" the manufacturer's product Description. For ex: Carlson advertises their LM Whitewing Dove ported extended tube version perfect for dove shooting. Then they have a simpler model in LM advertised for Sporting Clays. Heck, I'd think a LM pattern would be a LM pattern no matter what & just as good for one sport as it would be for another. Anyway, it's a bit confusing. I think a flush fit for the 12 would be preferred simply because its bbl is 28" & I really don't want to add more length. But I figure if I chose I could go extended on the 20 since it has a shorter 26" tube.

Go with a non-ported extended LM from Trulock, Briley, Carlson or a host of others. I have both Briley and Trulock (for different guns) and they do the job just fine

I have no complaints about my Carlson light modified tubes... Just the plain flush version.... They pattern evenly.

I use them for trap with a 7/8 ounce load of #8 (1,235 fps) using E3 powder.

The gun is a new production Winchester 101.

I like the extended ones for a few reasons - easy to loosen/tighten and change; easy to see which one is in there without looking down the muzzle; it also helps protect the muzzle from potential damage.

..appreciate the input. ..will give it a bit more study. Briley looks promising as they have Ecentrix that allows POI to be changed should it need be. I

At this pt I've no idea if POI/POA marry-up or not as I've yet to pull the trigger on either the 12 or 20. But I just figured that those 3 little, bitty ol' chokes Mossberg included in the package of each sg probably won't produce the best patterns. Maybe they'll surprise me & put out great patterns. But I had no idea 'til I visited the Briley site POI could be moved. ..learn something everyday. So with that info my next step is to patternize each sg with each of the 3 chokes included to determine accuracy. I built a take-down frame I can easily get in/out of my car & cut a couple dozen 48" sq white sheets to shoot outta housewrap I had sitting around. If Mossberg's chokes do the job, problem solved & I can save my $. But, then again, even if I get a decent pattern outta the Modified choke (will no doubt use it the most) I'd have to figure an aftermarket product should do even better. All-in-all I just kinda feel an aftermarket LM choke will probably end up in the muzzles of the 12 & 20.

Back