Aftermarket 700 Bolt Replacement?

Palmetto-Pride

So I was looking at some aftermarket bolts for my 700 .308. My question is why do they have to be installed by a gunsmith I think it has something to do with head space, but I don't understand exactly what is it about the bolts that are different from bolt to bolt......:confused:

You are correct it is the head spacing that has to be correct.
It does not take much headspace error to really mess up your day and your rifle.

There is some good news though, if the rifle has a factory barrel and the chamber has not been modified, the likelihood that an after-market bolt will headspace properly is high. Take it to a 'smith that has the gauges and get it checked or invest in them yourself. Brownell's has them and if you plan on doing much of your own work, or shooting a ton, it may not be bad to have them in your toolbox. If you do need to have the rifle/bolt headspaced it isn't usually that big a job. It's just a matter of finding someone that won't take a month to turn the job around.

I recently bought a new bolt for an old 1903 Springfield. It was a NIB bolt and when I slipped it in it fit perfectly. Headspace was right on as well.

Back