After Sonic cleaning bolt and trigger assembly

mlk3454

I have used a harbor freight sonic cleaner for brass for years and finally decided to take apart the 1187 and put the bolt, stock nut/washers, trigger assembly, etc in the cleaner with the Hornady cleaner. It did great but after it dries there is a very thin layer of rust (no pitting) on some surfaces. How would you guys lube these parts as they aren't noted as being lubed in the manual but I want a layer of protection if possible. Thanks!

~Matt

Thanks for the reply. I was wondering opinions on any special oils or dry lube to use. I don't want to gum up the action at all especially during late duck season and clay shooting.

~Matt

It is amazing both how well the sonic cleaner did but also how the rust formed in a couple spots that never had it. A light cleaner pulled the rust and I'm going to use the REM dry lube in the bolt and hoppes elite on the rest since I have them already.

I have seen a sonic solution used after the cleaner that once the item is removed and dry a thin layer of lube remains...I can't remember the make...Lyman? That may be a smart purchase.

~Matt

Strange- in 45+ years of using WD 40, I have never seen it "cover" water. I use ultrasonics every day in my shop, nor have I ever had a problem with rusting.
So, how much better is "better?"

Sonic cleaners remove everything, dirt, lube, old grease, light oil, dirt, crud, etc. When a gun is cleaned that way, ALL protection is removed from the work and a ferrous metal will rust very quickly in the presence of any significant humidity.

The only way to prevent that is to either use a rust-preventive (oil) immediately or move to a dry climate, the former being a bit less expensive.

Jim

Back