After market mags...any good???

Laxidasical

My favorite handgun is a Ruger P95. I've been on the lookout for factory Ruger 9mm HiCap mags. I've managed to get a couple, but the pickings are slim (and the prices are high).

I've seen A LOT of after market companies that still have pre-ban mags for much cheaper than the Ruger factory mags. I tend to believe in "you get what you pay for".

What experiences have you had with after market mags??? What brands are/aren't good, if any at all???

The only hi-cap mags I would trust for your fine Ruger P-95 are , of course, factory and Mec-Gar mags. There're out there but get em' quick. In my experience Mec-Gar mags are totally relible. Best, J. Parker

Stick with factory mags if you can. If you can't, Mecgars are generally considered the best (in fact, they manufacture factory Walther P99 mags). I think that I can safely say that the worst are USA Magazines (the brand, not the country of origin). Everything else falls somewhere in between. Good luck.

I'd second what branrot said. I've heard that Rugers tolerate Pro-Mags pretty well too. I've also heard to avoid Ramline. Just what I've heard.

Ben

Ram-Line, Triple K, and USA are generally junk.

Pro-Mag are usually good.

Mec-Gar are usually outstanding, on par with factory magazines. They are the OEM for many gun makers.

I cannot speak for Ruger but Promag's have been as reliable as factory mags in my Beretta 92FS & C and Glock 19. If you order online, by phone, or at a gun shop always ask for their return policy upfront. If they will not take back a mag that does not function in your pistol try elsewhere. You may pay a little more but it may pay off in the long run. Factory std. capacity mags are getting very expensive and aftermarkets aren't that cheap either.
I am very satisfied with http://www.clipsNstuff.com.

I've had 14 of the Glock style (six for my 17/34 and eight for my 19) steel-lined polymer mags made by Pro-Mag for a couple of years. They have all been reliable for me.

The original springs were a little wimpy and I replaced them after about six months of constant use with Wolff brand springs. Other than that, they have been trouble free.

I have a bunch of Pro-Mag brand mags for the Ruger P series and S&W 59xx series and they have all been reliable as well.

Back