After further consideration........

DOCSpanky

I fired 3 rounds from an identical rifle I had put on layaway. (.338 Remington ULTRA MAGNUM) At first the recoil seemed tolerable, but within a few minutes, true pain began to coarse through my shoulder. I decided upon further review not to get the .338 for myself, as being smaller in stature, I am quite prone to straight up being OVERPOWERED by the gun. (See my old post about a MOSSY 835 with 3 1/2" magnum shells!)

I then tried another guys Browning A-Bolt in .30-06. The rifle was equipped with the BOSS system. Though incredibally loud, this thing kicked no harder than ultra light field loads in a 12 guage, and I dare say some of the .223's I have tried. He then unloaded the exact same rifle in .308 (this guy obviously has too much money). Needless to say I was in love when, with a box stock rifle, I touched 3 holes at 100 yards, and didn't walk away in pain, just satisfaction.

I switched my layaway on the .338 Remington, to the Browning A-Bolt II with BOSS in .308 :)
Saved $200.00!

This in turn made the dealer very happy as he had a guy walk in wanting the .338 right when we were doing the deal. For giving it up discreetly so he could satisfy another customer, he threw in a box of Winchester Premium ammo.

The trigger on the Browning was better than the Remington anyway, and the BOSS system really seemed to work.

Now if I can just go get one of the local pig population to hold still this season :D

------------------
I thought I'd seen it all, until a 22WMR spun a bunny 2 1/4 times in the air!

I've got a new Browning A-Bolt Varminter in .308 and I'm taking it shooting for the first time this weekend. They are great rifles aren't they? I shot my dad's in .223 a few weeks ago and it shot a sub half inch group at 100 yards and it wasn't even broken in good. Good luck with your new toy, but don't neglect your .22's :D

.308 ammo is too expensive to ignore my shooting addiction, LONG LIVE THE .22!

------------------
I thought I'd seen it all, until a 22WMR spun a bunny 2 1/4 times in the air!

Back