African Hunts, Location and Safety?

mdunsworth

Inactive
I am interesteds in planning a trip to Africa to hunt in the near future. Probably a plains game package for 8-10 days. I was wondering how safe it is to goto South Africa. The variety of hunts is great there, but I have heard about the crime and violence. Would this come into play for a planned hunt with an agency. Also, what country would be better? I was looking at Namibia. Any other info would be appreciated as to the hidden costs (getting a wall mount to the US prepared or unprepared). Reccommendations for safari's to go on would also be appreciated. Sorry for all the questions, but I'm inquisitive. :D

mdunsworth,

An African safari is a great experience. Either RSA or Namibia would be excellent choices for a first safari. I would lean towards Namibia. Feel free to contact us with any questions you may have. I look forward to discussing Africa with you..!!

Joel Slate
Slate & Associates, LLC
www.slatesafaris.com

7mm Rem Mag Page www.slatesafaris.com/7mm.htm

I have booked 3 safaris in RSA for a number of reasons. You can get into bad areas in the states just as easy as in another country. Most times you aren't in the cities that long, but instead enroute to or actually hunting in the country. However, I would have no problem recommending RSA to hunt in. I would recommend several things when planning your first safari.
1) Join SCI - Publications are great and have lots of information. Also, attend a convention. There are many different operations there which you can meet and decide if they are the type you want to go with.
2) Know what animals you want to hunt. Alot of those packages include animals that you may not really want to hunt. When I went on my first, the price included duiker and steinbok which I didn't want to hunt. I was able to negotiate a credit of half the trophy fees for each to be applied to other animals. There was a video called "South African 37" or something like that that had good footage of alot of different animals. Another great resource is the SCI record book. Each section has at least one picture of the animal. Then make sure who you want to hunt with has those. Books by Craid Boddington were also great help.
3) Whoever you hunt with should be able to provide their taxidermist. Contact them and ask them to prepare two quotes, one to mount everything and another to simply prep and pack. Then ask your local taxidermist what he will charge to mount.
4) When choosing your customs broker (Coppersmith and Flaura&Fauna best known), get their price list and know what you will be charged for shipping. Most charge by cubic inches, so if you get a kudu shoulder mount in Africa, that's alot of cubic inches. If you want to save a bit of money, ask the taxidermist in Africa to leave the horns of and then attach when you receive. Saves alot of inches. Overall, I have decided to have my local guy do it because he can see where I want to hang and craft the mount for me. Also, there is no risk of damage in shipping the completed mount.
5) Perform a search on this web board. I'm sure this topic was listed once or twice. :)
6) Check out other web boards. HuntAmerica.com and Huntchat.com both have African forums.
7) Consider what time of year you want to go. Airline costs are cheaper in May than in the summer or in August. Could usually pay the trophy fee of another animal with the difference.
8) Take a friend. Went with my dad and brother first time, wife second. Makes the memories more special when you can share them with someone else.
9) Realize what type of hunting you will be doing. There are some guys in RSA who hunt small areas of land, and since it is fenced, may make you feel like it's not something for you. Others have several thousand hectares, and despite the fences, you may not even know they exist except for going through the gates.
10) Plan to go back, it get's in your blood!!

Hope this information is useful to you. First time to Africa is the best!

Snake

The U.S. State Deparment issues travel advisories when risks increase in certain countries. I haven't been to RSA in 10 years, but my understanding is that conditions have deteriorated to the point where the current "government" - and I use the term loosely - has determined that the crime rate should be a state secret.

Zimbabwe, IMHO, is now a write-off, as Robert Mugabe has gone nuts and violence can spring up anywhere. As famine may set in anytime during the next 6 months, it's a smoldering tinderbox.

Zambia closed hunting, but may re-open in a while.

On taxidermists . . . only RSA has any that are competent, and despite protestations to the contrary, the tanning available is not up to par. I've seen a number of mounts done in RSA that exhibited good workmanship and artistry, but began cracking after 10 years or so due to tanning quality.

Back