AFFORDABLE gear

shimmy1000

Inactive
I am planning on going to my first USPSA event soon. I have read threads where guys showed up just to watch and regretted not bringing their gear so I'd like to avoid this mistake. I am a police officer so the only mag pouches I have are high gloss with a button snap. (not very usefull) However, I don't want to go out and drop a ton of cash before my first shoot. (although I KNOW I will love it) Are there some cheap alternatives for a belt clip ammo pouch? I like the comp-tac single mag holders but they are $25 each and if I need about four mags that's more than I want to spend initially. Also need suggestions on an affordable holster. (I don't think a high gloss retention holster of any sort would help either.) I don't particularly want to show up with duty gear and look like a goober out there. (any more than I have to)

Thanks!

JW

Just show up with your duty gear. Lots of LEO's do it their first time or contine to do it just for the practice. You actually look a lot cooler than the guy that shows up with the WW2 army surplus gear. Also the other LEO's will probably come by and say "what's up"

For inexpensive look at uncle mikes. I would hold off and shoot a few matches with your duty gear. To be honest the first few times out the gear is not going to be what holds you back. It's going to be the framilarity of the game, rules, and strategies.

I've seen LEO's use their duty gear. IIRC, the rules state you have to wear all the gear, i.e., handcuff case, mace, walkie holder, etc. Obviously, it is not built for speed, but you will get a feel for the course design and the different ways to shoot a stage. What kind of handgun will you be using?

I would not worry about wearing all your gear. Not at the local match level. I don't remember any such rule either but I may be wrong.

Wear your duty gear. I would think a day's practice actually shooting and reloading out of it would outweigh the risk of looking like a goober.

My gun

I'll be using my issued weapon, a Glock 17. We tried the 22 but had nothing but problems with them. No problems with the 17 at all that I know of.

hey, dont know anything about the rules for that event but i have a glock factory drop down rt hand holster (kydex) for a g22 that anyone that wants can have for postage.
its the same holster used by austrian law enforcement. used but excellent condition.
i traded the glock but forgot to include this holster.
im sure 5 bucks would cover postage and mileage to post office.
let me know
tom

I looked up the rule in the 2008 USPSA regarding duty rigs (5.2.8) and it states the RM (Range Master) has the final authority for safety and rig suitability in the match. It's only permitted for use in Level 1 matches (club matches). So, if it were me, I'd carry the holster and mag holders only. Get rid of the extra weight.

First time I shot IDPA I used a duty rig and nobody blinked an eye. At your first shoot safety will be what is stressed, and how you look will not make a lick of difference. Just go and have fun.

I agree with the advice given above. Use what you already have and have some fun. After you shoot a few matches and see what the other shooters are using, you will have a better idea on what you might want to change or upgrade. No sense in buying some cheap gear then immediately replacing it with something better after shooting a match or two.

I am not a LEO but I do work armed with an exposed, strong side holster. I also shoot IPSA and love it. I use my duty holster and duty mag holster. I also use an extra Fobus mag holster so I can carry 5 mags. I put it on my belt next in line right behind my duty holder. I leave my mag holders unsnapped, even though it would be better practice to leave them snapped.
So for the price of a Fobus and +2 mags, you can have a good set of basics for Under $100. I suggest taking lots of ammo. I usually take at least 300 rounds with me although I have only gone over 200 one time in a match. Most are more like 150 to 180 rounds but sometimes I shoot a bit before or after too.
Aside from that, once you see what others are doing, if you want to go race gun and open division, talk to people first. See what they are doing, using, what works. You can save yourself a lot of money by waiting and learning more before investing $2k to $3k in shooting gear.

Last edited:
All the above is good advice. If you feel you need some inexpensive gear to get started, Fobus or Uncle Mike's sell Plastic/Kydex holsters and mag holders (belt or paddle) cheap. TACTICAL STORE.COM sells them with free postage/shipping if over $29 total.
When you start, getting the mags out are more important than the draw.
You'll enjoy it either way you go. HAVE FUN.

Back