Affordable Barreled Actions?

dedrevil

I want to build (or assemble rather) my first bolt action.
The problem I am having is that I have a budget of less than $1000 for the barreled action

Remington sold something close (mpn: 86498), but the only place ive seen it for sale is eurooptic, but has been sold out. I emailed asking about stock but havent heard back

Not just the price but I also have a specific barrel contour, length and twist in mind.

Short of scrounging around pawn shops for a complete donor rifle, you probably won't find a Remington barelled action in a store.

Yes, the Howas are available from Brownells, and Century had some Zastava actions last time I was on their site (months ago). SARCO, AIM Surplus, you'll have to go digging for one right now.

Brownells has Howa barreled actions for sale.
They have them listed for sale, which means they can have one made for you. I ordered one recently that was listed "in stock"--which actually means they can have one built for you, which may take weeks. Found this out recently myself. You order from them...it goes to legacy sports international...then goes to Howa Japan.

Short of scrounging around pawn shops for a complete donor rifle,

This.

A barreled action is often more expensive than buying the whole gun used. You can offset the costs by selling the old stock.

You can likely get a used savage 10/110 for $325 or less shipped from gunbroker. Next buy a criterion or shilen match barrel in caliber and contour of your choice from northland shooters supply for about $325 shipped. Buy a barrel nut wrench for about $35 and you are all in for less than $700. (Or better yet pay a gunsmith to do it. Its cost me between $45-$65 and you know the headspacing is set correctly.)

B&C full aluminum bedded stocks are available for about $300 depending on the style you want and you have a ridiculously accurate rifle for $1k.

Timney has a great trigger for about $135 if you'd like.

Last edited:
I noticed Northland has remington actions, but of course the 308 bolt face is sold out.
Ive also noticed a lack of remington rifles on the big box stores websites, is this because of the remington buyout? (I also noticed their website not longer lists any guns)

Instead of looking for barreled actions, look for complete rifles.

Remington 700 5R Police Magpul Stock

Remington 700 Custom Manners Stock

The Magpul should sell within your budget, the Manners a little over. You'll also have to figure in shipping and transfer fees to the total price. The rifle with the Manners stock is your best deal as that is an $800+ stock with over a seven month wait on a new one from Manners. So you're really buying the rest of the rifle for around $400.

If you don't like the stock then you can probably sell it for around $600 and that'll increase the price of your barreled action but not to an unreasonable amount. The only thing I'm questioning on that package is the barrel, but it's long enough if the throat is bad you can set it back and start over for a minimal cost, or you can order up a Remage and install a new barrel yourself. However for $1100 "buy it now" you're getting a lot of good parts.

I'm starting to wonder if the best idea is to keep my Bergara B14 6.5 Creedmoor and just re-barrel it. I was gonna sell it to help fund this build.

Its a sub 0.5 rifle as it sits now, but if I go that route Id be replacing the barrel, bolt, scope, rings, stock. The only thing I'd keep is the action and trigger. (I know the bolt face is the same as 308, but the non-premier B14 bolts have been known to fail, so I would want to upgrade to the premier series bolt)

Does anyone know how compatible Bergara actions are with Remington style things?
Will the Remington stock I picked out fit?
If I order a Remington barrel will it fit?

Remington has been purchased by Rounhill Group, and the plan is to keep making firearms. Even if Remington was gone, someone would start reproducing commercial 700 rifles it is just too popular to die.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FITASC View Post
Remington's gun business is gone, never to return.
That's what I thought, but when I mentioned that to my brother he asked the gun guilder he's using and they said Remington firearms weren't going anywhere.

The gun business is kaput; the new owners have no FFL, no raw material suppliers, the labor force has moved on; they walked away from their new facility in Alabama. The real estate company that bought has some questionable connections with the recent CEO. Marlin was bought by Ruger, the ammo side was bought by Vista (aka ATK) and bullet group by Sierra

Scrounging around pawn shops or gun shows for a used rifle is your best bet. Best to wait until after your local deer season. Guy will miss an easy shot, blame the rifle and sell 'em, usually with a scope.
Remington is bankrupt. Parts of the company were recently sold off. Don't think they've sold barreled action only for eons either.
A 6.5 Creed Bergara is currently on sale at Cabela's for $949.99. Don't think you'll get enough for a used one to fund much.

The gun business is kaput; the new owners have no FFL, no raw material suppliers, the labor force has moved on; they walked away from their new facility in Alabama. The real estate company that bought has some questionable connections with the recent CEO. Marlin was bought by Ruger, the ammo side was bought by Vista (aka ATK) and bullet group by Sierra

Fitasc, do you have any articles you can point me to regarding the Remington brand? Roundhill bought the gun business and everything I've seen indicates they are dedicated to rebuild the brand. Of course their public statements could be lies, but at face value, that's what they are saying. I'm not saying your wrong, just that I havent seen that anywhere. Your Ruger, ATK, and Sierra statement agrees with everything else I've seen.

Txhillbilly said:
Pacific Tool & Gauge sells an action w/trigger for $760, you could buy a Pre-fit barrel, Recoil lug, and Barrel nut and be a little over your budget.

I really like PT&G products, but I would never buy anything from them online. They are notorious for not making delivery dates and poor communication. I would just call them directly and if the item you want isn't in stock, start looking elsewhere for a similar product even if it is more expensive. Spending more to avoid delays and headaches is worth every penny IMO.

I have a one piece in the white steel Winchester bottom metal it took me 9 months to get from them. I ordered online and it said 6-8 weeks delivery. No response from my emails after week 10, called and they said it would be another 2-4 weeks when I got ahold of someone. When I finally disputed the purchase on my CC the part magically showed up in my mailbox. It just wasn't worth the drama to get it, and I wound up sourcing a different stock that used the 2 piece bottom metal and sold the McMillan one piece inlet I had.

Well it seems, even on the other forums, Remington's future is highly debated.

So, I have done some pricing, and so long as my Bergara B14 action fits into a Remington stock (including detachable box bottom metal) and I can get a barrel cut for it (anyone confirm these two points?); it will be SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper to keep the Bergara and just rebuild it to suit my new needs.

Back