Affect on barrel vibrations

Ldoll

I was thinking about putting a laser sight on my rifle barrel, which is free floated, and was wondering if this could affect barrel vibrations.

I'm not very well schooled on laser sights so forgive my dumb questions here. Don't laser sights have a relatively short range? 50 yards or so? Don't they lose a lot of their effectiveness in daylight? :confused:

------------------
bullet placement is gun control

It would seem to reason that anything on a free floating bbl would have some effect on the barrel vibs. To what extent is unknown. It could/couldn't effect zero/accuracy/etc.

This is the concept with the BOSS system. You screw/unscrew the BOSS until you achieve the best possible accuracy with a given cartridge.

If I may venture to ask... Why?

------------------
Schmit
GySgt, USMC(Ret)
NRA Life, Lodge 1201-UOSSS
"Si vis Pacem Para Bellum"

The laser on your barrel can have some effect on barrel vibrations. In some cases it can have a positive effect. / Do not tighten the mount too tight because it can actually close the barrel down some which is not good. If you can slide the mount up and down the barrel till you find the tightest group spot then put a drop of epoxy on it to hold it in place. I assume you are going to put a IR laser on it to use with night vision

The laser that I was thinking of putting
on is made for pistols to be put on the
trigger guards. But they make an adapter
to fit on rifles and shotguns. The
adapter is similar to the clamp that
holds the extended magazine tube to the
barrel of shotguns. It would serve no
practical purpose, but I think it would
like nice on my rifle (heavy fluted
stainless barrel). The range of laser
depends on which model you got. 500
yards for the cheaper one (79.99) and
1000 yards for the most expensive one
(129.99) from bass pro. But if there is a chance that it could affect anything at all with the gun, the money would be better spent on ammo. Thanks for the info guys.

Any contact by anything will affect the harmonics of a free-floated barrel. I'm sure that there are mounts that you can configure to fit your free-float tube.

I use an inexpensive, Leapers mount similar to the ARMS mount, which provides for mounting a laser or other device (I have a Pro Point 3 mounted on mine) mounted on the side and forward of the carrying handle. If you have a flattop, there might be a similar mount, when used with a riser, that'll work in the application that you desire.

------------------
Shoot to kill; they'll stop when they're dead!

Back