advise

From the serial number I'm thinking the rifle was made Aug. 1918 and the barrel mark of 7-18 indicates a July 1918 date, the stock markings are also period correct as far as I can tell, I am not home right now so do not have my info handy. I don't recall anything about bad rifles or numbers to avoid, and the pictures make it look like a fair to good example of a 96 year old military rifle. Without being able to inspect it I would not suggest shooting it and if you do never exceed period load pressures for it. As for the price your on your own there last one I bought was near 20 years ago. There are a number of good information/history sites on line, just google model 1917 eddystone. Hope that helps some.

No to the serial number question. The Model 1917's did not have the heat treatment problems which plagued early M1903 rifles.

Jim

It looks to be in pretty good condition. Just be careful you don't bid too high in an adrenaline fueled attempt to win the auction :D

John

The S/N issue only applies to 1903's. Some people claim there is no Eddystone that's any good. Not sure I'd want to part with $500ish for that rifle though. Bit rough and it's a mix master.

The only problem I know with Eddystones is that they used machinery to torque up the barrels, so some were over-torqued. That causes no problems until someone tries to remove the tight barrel and cracks the receiver. Since the OP is probably not going to remove the barrel, that is a moot point here.

Jim

Back