Advice wanted/needed

Bob Locke

Thinking about picking up a good revolver in .357 magnum.

First choice would be a S&W 686 (or 686+), but I'd like to hear about other good options (don't want SA only).

Thoughts?

Greeting's Bob,

You seem to be right on track in choosing the
Smith & Wesson 686. I prefer the 686-5 with a
6" tube, for that real tough long-range shot.
Also, I don't care much for the 686 Plus; cuz
I think of revolver's as being six shooter's.
At any rate, the 686 is an outstanding firearm
capeable of extremely fine accuracy.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

You'll never wear out an N-frame

like the M28 Highway Patrolman. They can be found in excellent condition almost everywhere. Seems like folks gravitate toward the lighter guns, as .38 Special is shot much more frequently than .357s.:)

Ben,

Yeah, I'm thinking about a "go anywhere, do anything" sort of revolver.

And I'm not recoil sensitive in the least. Have handled .454 Casull and .50 AE revolvers with little difficulty, so a light-weight gun with full house magnums isn't a drawback in my book.

Ruger GP-100

For a "go anywhere, do anything sort of revolver", I would buy a Ruger KGP-141: the all-stainless, four-inch fill-underlug barrel, adjustable rear site GP-100. Probably the must rugged, reliable and dependable .357 magnum/.38 Special around, with excellent accuracy, outstanding quality, and "right sized" to be good for everything: target/plinking, competition, concealed carry, home/personal defense, hunting, and so forth.

For about $350 NIB, it is hard to beat . . . and it's even tougher than the Smith "L" frames, such as the 586/686.

Seems most here are partial to Smiths. But I'm a Ruger nut, so post a vote for a GP100. You did say 357 not 38, and the Ruger is stronger, and a little more utilitarian than the Smiths. It will take a lot more hard use than the "other" brand. It's also a little cheaper as a general rule, so a battle scar here and there won't upset you as much. I'm assuming you're like me: Guns are meant to be USED, not be showpieces.(ALL my 357's shoot 357, NOT 38spec.)
Before we turn this into a brand war: I don't dislike Smiths, I just prefer Rugers if I'm given the choice.;)

If you can handle the large frame.......N frame SnW 27 or 28. 27 is fancier target oriented version and the 28 is great utility sidearm. both have plenty of meat where it counts for usin full strength .357 loads.

Next down in size would be the L frame 586. Keep the full strength stuff to just occaisional shooting.

Then down to my favorite....the K frame Model 19. Again, limit the use of full house stuff.

Most of the defensive loads in .357 seem mild enough for use in the smaller (K & L frame) guns but if you gonna do silohuette or hunt bigish game with .357.......go for big frame.

The large frame Rugers and Dan Wesson are quite stout also. But I like my old pre sellout Smiths.

Sam

I'm a big guy (6'3", 275, size 14 ring), so the size of the frame isn't going to be much of a consideration. :D

I own a Ruger Blackhawk, and really like it.

I don't own a Smith & Wesson of any sort, so I'm a little tempted to get one in the "collection". (I use that term loosely, because I agree with Ben: Guns should be fired, and more than just occasionally!)

'Preciate the input thus far. I'd say that right now I'm pretty much leaning to the 686 (if I can get one for only an arm and keep the leg), but the GP-100 is running a close second.

Any real difference in the 4" versus 6" barrels?

The 4" sounds like it might be a little easier to put away on my person, but that's not a serious consideration here as I tote my Glock 19 for CCW. Does the 6" gain much in the way of performance?

Bob,
A used Colt King Cobra 4" is a good option. I picked one up "for my wife", and we both love it. I was considering a GP100, but when I had the opportunity to compare one, side-by-side, with the King Cobra, looks, action and trigger pull of the KC won out.......Dan in GA

All good selections 686 is a nice revolver. If you like the "L" frame I'd suggest a look at a Dan Wesson Model 715. Strong, accurate, and interchangeable barrels too.
Take Care

The extra 2" of barrel will get you somewhere between 100-150 fps, I believe. This is just my reasoning though. I just split the difference between my 2 1/4" sp101 and a 7 1/2" blackhawk that I chrono'ed a while back.

Bob-A-Louie.

Zip for 686 experience, but do have a 19 w/4" tube & a couple 66s with 2.5" if you'd like to give 'em a whirl - anytime, Bob.

labgrade, my friend, it's just been TOO long! :D

Love to get up and see you and you bride for a bit of powder burning. I have a rifle that I need to get sighted in (hope to fell a nice 4-legged beastie), and want to make sure my Blackhawk is on as well.

You're gonna have some e-mail right quick, amigo.

Ben,

I know with rifles the general rule of thumb is about 100 fps per inch of barrel change. If that holds for handguns as well, then your 100-150 fps educated guess makes sense.

I think since I'm not worried about CCW, but I would like to possibly hunt with it, that I'm after a 6" barrel.

And I can't believe I forgot about the Cobras/Pythons! I wanted a Cobra so bad when I was a kid (11 or 12) that I could taste it! One of my older cousins had one, and we used to have a BLAST (literally and figuratively) with it.

Sometimes, having a LOT of really good options isn't the greatest thing! :rolleyes:

I love this place! :D

As I posted in a couple other threads today, for hunting give the ruger some heavy consideration:
It's stronger than the others, especially if you shoot warm/hot handloads, and you wouldn't want no battle scars on one of your purty guns. ;)

One thing to look at re Colts (Pythons anyway) is they have a shorter .357 cylinder than do $&#.

Had a very nice cast 168 gr SWC loaded up that shot very well in my 19. Lucked into a 6" Python & darned things were too long in the tooth for the Snake. Crimped at proper location, etc.

Ended up trading the Python in for a beaut Rem 7 + stuff. Darned thing went "out of time" or sumpin - wouldn't be consistent ignition on double action - new springs/work, etc. = no go.

Until it went south though, the Snake was one dream gun & a one-holer w/HBWCs at 25 yards.

Bob, let's do get together. The Wife can show us both how to shoot a double action the way it's supposed to be. :cool: :D

Ruger's really easy to strip down for a thorough cleaning, too.

Hey, I've bought guns "for my wife" too. Heck, she never let's me shoot 'em

Back