Advice on Skeet gun

SloSolo2

I'm thinking of skeet shooting on a more regular basis, yesterday was my first time and I had a lot of fun. The sport obviously is desinged for 2 shot guns and most everyone there was using over/unders. Can anyone recommend an economical 20ga. over/under that is popular with skeet shooters? Ideally it would come with removable chokes but be capable of having other modifications made slowly over time. Used is OK and $500 is the MAX I'd be able to do this year.

Regards

Jamie

[Edited by SloSolo2 on 02-25-2001 at 08:20 AM]

If you can find one of the SKBs, that should work and within your price range. The Brownings run over what you can spend, and the Winchester 101s are getting scarce.

Also, while O/Us are definitely the gun of choice for most Skeeters, a 12 ga semi like the Berettas and the ubiquitous Remington 1100 make good tools for skeet. Some folks use a 12 ga gas gun plus a tubed O/U for the sub gauges.

with the money you would like to spend i'd say i'd have to agree with bam-bam, you can get a much better auto than o/u.

that being said i realize chasing hulls isn't fun, but there are some really good shell catchers out there for 1100s, 1187s, and the berettas. cuts the bending down down to four times per box.

if you still seek a 500 20ga o/u they are out there, huglus, eaa, baikal, iai, izh, and various clones, but they tend not to hold up to the usage a skeet gun gets. there was a time when you could get nib ruger o/u for around 500, but it has long since past, you might try a used miroku pattern gun. these are the browning citori, winchester 101, etc. they were all built in the same plant, in miroku, japan, with only cosmetic differences. these are very dependable o/u. they can take the usage and can be repaired readily when broken, by a competent gunsmith. parts are available.

try the internet auction services, good luck, it is a fun game, i shot it competitively for about 13 years, met my wife on a skeet field.

I vote for the Remington 1100. I have a 1976 Bicentenial model with a 26" barrel choked Skeet that I bought in high school. I have broke(and missed) many a bird with that gun. I recently purchased a Beretta Briley tubed 682 Gold that I love but I still use the 1100 for 12 ga. My opinion is that you cannot go wrong with the 1100

All,

thanks for your remarks particullarly blooch. I have a Browning Auto 5 12ga. which I used Saturday until it broke then I borrowed a 12ga. Citori. I found that I much prefered the handling of the double gun when not firing. I was much more comfortable with the gun broken down over my arm while waiting my turn and I could load it faster than the Auto 5.

Is it considered poor etiquitte to not pick up your hulls? I didn't but I was walking on many others as well.

Jamie

those o/u's sure do hang over your shoulder good when you're tired, makes 'em really easy to carry.

some places claim all hulls that hit the ground, others require you to pick yours up, you have to ask. during a tournament you don't pick up hulls since it holds up the works. when you get real good the ammo companies want you to throw your empties on the ground so everyone can see what you are using. when you get really good they give ammo to you and you don't mind throwing them on the ground.

Remington 11-87 Skeet

Hi, I have an 11-87 Skeet model, purchased two yrs ago,
26" bbl, w/ skeet chokes.
I shoot at my home only, on a practice range that only slightly resembles a skeet/trap/sporting clays range, just for fun.
I have about 1500 or more rounds through it, any and all brands that can be found on sale, and it has worked flawlessly, still looks brand new.
Remington discontinued the skeet model, I don't know why.
Since I bought it for pleasure, not competition, the sporting clay model would have worked just fine, its just that the Skeet model matched my old 870 Wingmaster exactly for stock drop, and lenght of pull, so I figured I would never notice the difference in fit in the two guns.
I have had my 870 since I was 13, (now 38), and since I could hit very well with it, I didn't want to change the fit.
IMHO, the common working man cannot do better than Remington, and in my book, the 11-87 is tops.
It will shoot 2 3/4 or 3" , light or heavy, depending on the barrel used, (ONLY 2 3/4 light loads in the Skeet barrel), and interchangable barrels make it versitile.
My high school chum had an 1100, and it was very picky about ammo, and had a tendency to jam, its my understanding that most 1100's can be maintained to work well, but the 11-87's are an improvement in design.
Hope this helps, Lance

Back