Advice on S&W M 27

Greetings

I'm a complete newcomer here (just posted a short introduction on the general forum).
I have been shooting my club's M 27 3 a bit and have come to love it! One of the guys from the club wants to sell his almost identical M 27 with a 4" and a 6" barrel e x t r e m e l y cheap (around $ 220,-). I'm going to test it on the range on sunday and almost surely going to buy it unless it's about to fall apart :), but I have a small problem with the N frame. I have rather small hands and the standard grip is a bit too large.
I tried a two piece Pachmayer rubber grip on the 27 3. It fits better, but it's so darn beautiful with the wood grip!:D
Any of you know if Hougue or other manufacturers makes a nice, slim one piece wood grip for a square butt N frame?

Thanks in advance
The Porcupine
(Bo)

Hogue does, indeed, make a one-piece wood grip for the N-frame. It should help with any trigger-reach problems as it leaves the backstrap area uncovered.

It's also very good looking in exotic woods. ;)

It sort of looks like this:

sw25.jpg

This is the Hogue hardwood monogrip on a Model 25.

Thanks a lot all!
Herrett's have some very nice stocks! Never even heard of them, thanks Ronin 99!

Sounds good with a Hougue grip for the N frame. The one on lendringser's 25 looks great!

The best
Bo

Ummmm....I'm a little fuzzy on the 4-inch AND 6-inch barrel? It would have one or the other, but not both, unless it's not a S&W M27 but a Dan Wesson .357. The tubes are not interchangeable on a Smith without the services of a 'smith.

i was just going to post the same question as hutch, for what it's worth i think the 5" balances the m-27 best

herrets used to offer the service of custom cut grips from a tracing of your hand. i find the hogue monogrips in hardwood happen to fit my hand very well so i'm foregoing the custom cut herrets. i also like their selection of exotic wood w/o extra cost for fancy figure

bearhug (?) grips makes a grip for the n-frame in the skeeter skeelton pattern (modification of the old walter roper design) which are also very nice. a bit thinner classic look which seems to fit smaller hands well

i'm saving up for a set of custom grips from roy fishpaw for my 8.375" m-27 and thinking about getting a 5" barrel for it

Hutch: I'm pretty confused myself! I haven't seen the gun yet, but will on Sunday (hopefully). I haven't found a way to slip of the barrel of an M 27 myself either!:)

9mmepiphany: You are right about the 5" barrel. My club has one which I have borrowed for the last month or so. It has a 5" barrel and feels very balanced as well as looking really good!
I'll have to find a local dealer or two and see what stocks they offer. Of course I could order online, but I'd like to feel first!

It will be a shooter, so getting it round butted might be an idea. If only I wasn't so "¤#¤% strapped for cash!

Thanks
Bo

Small hands?
Get a set of small S&W grips and put a Tyler grip adapter on it first.
That combination will afford the smallest hands to confortably shoot a N frame.
The Tylers won't cost much and they were used for many, many years on N frame shooters.
Bearhug is dead.
Blu Magnum Custom grips is making the Skelton Grips now.
Before I spent any big money on Hogue, Herriets,ect I would start at the low end and work my way up.
Don Mallard

Back