Advice on first shotgun

WYSIWYG

Inactive
I'm looking for a shotgun to be used for hunting and possibly skeet.

Particulars: 12 gauge, pump, and under $300

Any input would be welcome.

Thanks!

That is an easy one; Mossberg 500. Of course you may get differing views. :D (Geez, I hope Sensop doesn't see the green thing. ;))

------------------
Gunslinger

We live in a time in which attitudes and deeds once respected as courageous and honorable are now scorned as being antiquated and subversive.

Try a good secondhand Italian 12GA (EG Fausti, Bettinsoli, Zoli etc) under and over(U/O) with 5 screw-in chokes[EG skeet 1, skeet2 , half, three-quarters and full ], it is a very versatile outfit for a beginner and all the top skeet shooters use U/Os and at the Olympics, coming up in Sydney OZ.

In the field U/O is also quite OK and most recommended, but I would only favour a pump like a Winchester 1200 for an experienced wild-fowler. Concentrate on field-craft and accuracy/ranges first before blasting away !

If you set up and pattern your loads with the various chokesat your preferred ranges, you can have a very comfortable combination of coping with most senarios and any hunting or sport shooting.

Also a U/O will not boot or hurt you like a lighter gun...AS LONG AS IT FITS YOU. (Very important - also your cheek is the rearsight in instinctive shooting).

May I suggest you borrow different types of club guns and take part in a shoot before choosing ?

------------------
***Big Bunny***

Well...what do you want to hunt, and are you thinking of competitive skeet? A good many skeet shooters use autos. For hunting these are good too. But I do not recommend a pump for the skeet field -- those doubles will be too frustrating. An o/u would be ideal, but they are expensive. Take a look at the Remington 1100 (an auto), perhaps used if you can find one. I hear good things about them.

Hueco

[This message has been edited by Hueco (edited March 17, 2000).]

A pump gun is probably the toughest action to shoot on skeet. This is mostly true on doubles which you will experience on four positions. It takes a quick hand to shoot the first bird, shuck in another shell, and kill the second bird. I know, I have shot skeet with my Ithaca Mod 37 (new production) which has a ventilated rib.

I would suggect that you get yourself a good used Remington 1100 automatic with RemChoke system. This is a great gun on the skeet range and for hunting. Only problem with an automatic (and a pump too) is picking up your hulls.....that is if the club will allow you to pick up a hull once it hits the ground.

Hope this helps, Regards, Mikey.

WYSIWYG, whatever you get, make sure it's set up for screw-in chokes. Read the post in another thread about the new, ultra-tight turkey choke.

For duck/goose hunting, a full choke is good; and for quail/dove and skeet, the improved cylinder choke is preferred. (Well, "skeet" choke for the pros...)

FWIW, Art

Back