Advice on converting SxS to Lupara/Where I live it's legal.

XavierTico

Inactive
I am looking for expert advice on converting a coach gun to a Lupara, shortening stock and barrels. I live in Costa Rica where there are no legal restrictions on the length of shotguns. I want an intimidating, powerful weapon small enough to carry and use in a car. It may have to be used by women. With that in mind I'm considering converting a .410 instead of a 12 gauge. Any advice?

How about a 20 gauge? The recoil is less and you would have a choice between standard loads and 3" Magnum, plus a more effective shot charge.

IMHO, the .410 is too light and it has little in the way of intimidation effect.

Jim

I think the buckshot load for the .410 is 5 000 pellets, but even so, for short range I would think along the lines of No 4 shot in a 20 gauge. Believe me, anyone hit in the head or chest with that load at under five feet will immediately cease being a danger to anyone.

Jim

why dont you try a 16 gauge? i think a 20 is pretty small even for a woman (if she is used to it) and you should be able to get 16 gauge ammo there pretty easy. By the way you can always get 410 slug ammo.

Don't shorten it TOO much.

The classic, Sicilian-style Lupara, doesn't usually have extremely short barrels. Those I've seen illustrated seem to have 22 to 24-inch barrels. Even so, the very short action of the double gun is still much shorter than a pump or autoloader of similar barrel length.

I keep thinking I'll one day make up my own variant - - 20" barrels, sling swivels, and some low mount sights so I can shoot slugs accurately, from at least ONE barrel. :p

Of course, if concealability is a factor, then perhaps very short tubes might be indicated.

Best,
Johnny

Back