Advice on CCW 9mm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for a new 9mm handgun to replace the Kel-tec P11 that I have. The P11 is OK, but I dont like the trigger on it. To rough and I guess what you would call stagey.

Would like to find a semi-auto, 9mm, traditional DA, that is capable of handling large capacity magazines. Will be my daily carry gun.

I also have a Taurus PT99 that I am carrying now. Fit's my frame and hand well in an IWB holster. Shoot pretty well with it to. Would like something a little smaller as the barrel keeps stickin' me in the butt when I sit in the car.

I've looked at the new generation S&W and they seem to fit my hand well, and hide just as easily. I'd like to keep the cost below $60 if possible.

Any help would be appreciated.

------------------
Peace...
Keith

If the 2nd is antiquated, what will happen to the rest.
"the right to keep and bear arms."

If you want a traditional DA/SA pistol that can take hi-caps for CCW I'd try the Sig P228 or the Smith and Wesson 6906. Both are fairly compact. The Sig is wider and holds 13 rounds with pre-ban mags. The 6906 takes 12 or 13 round (I can't remember) pre-ban mags and is nice and thin through the slide.

If you want to give a non-traditional DA pistol a try, I can't praise the Glock 19 enough. Takes a 15 round pre-ban mag, is very light, and is simple and easy to shoot.

I agree with JMB. Although all of the weapons he suggested are more the 60$ ;), I think you can find any one of these three under 600$.

------------------
May your lead always hit center mass and your brass always land in your range bag.

~Blades~

Have you visited the Keltec Owners User's Group website? (www.ktog.org) There are steps there for improving the trigger pull and I can vouch for their effectiveness. If you have a P-11 and haven't visited the site or joined the user's group, you've really missed something. (If you've done both, read on.) I have a P-11: very accurate, very reliable, and very light. Easy to conceal. But its not my favorite gun. I will carry it from time to time. (IDPA competition has shown me that I just haven't learned to shoot it effectively wtih my left hand, and that doesn't seem to be a problem with my other guns.)

If you are still intent on getting something to replace the P-11, I'd suggest one of the subcompact Glocks (I can't keep the model numbers straight), or a Kahr Micro 9. Both quality guns. (THe Kahr trigger pull is only slightly shorter than the P-11.)

Doh! yes, $600

I've tried some of the ideas on www.ktog.org, but I still dont shoot as well with it as I would like to. Can't really shoot it at all with my left hand. My Taurus I could probably shoot all day, I put 300 rounds through in an hour last week and could have shot more. I like the way the Kel-tec carries, but it is painful to practice with, hence the desire for a new gun.

The reasoning for the TDA is so that my two guns would have a similar manual of arms. And I like the ability to have SA.

I'm going to see if I can rent or borrow a SIG. I've heard a lot of good things about them.

Thanks...

A Glock 19 or SIG 228 sounds ideal for your needs. But since you stated you want a traditional DA, that would lead me to recommend the SIG.
SIG's have one of the best (if not the best) out of the box trigger pull. Also highly accurate, reliable, and just excellent in overall quality. And you may be able to find some pre-ban 13 round mags.
SIGs are not cheap though, and usually cost more than $600. However, if you act fast, you can find one for under $600 (mid-$500). The guy at Jersey City Armory pages.hotbot.com/biz/jcarmory has a few 228's in stock for an unbeatable price.

[This message has been edited by shamster (edited October 07, 1999).]

You can't go wrong with a Sig. They are as good as it gets IMHO. The Sigs are great combat handguns to start with, so any needed after market improvements, if you want/need any, are going to be minimal. You might pay an extra $50 to $150 more than the competition, depending on where you shop, but you'll be happy with the results.

I want to be objective in my recommendation so here is the other side. Many Sigs in recent years have come from the factory with rough and extremely heavy double action trigger pulls. If you get one like this, (which is probable), there are remedies. They have the potential of having the best pull IMHO with the right work. That's the only thing I can think of that "might" need improvement. Other than that, they are all around, excellent.

------------------
"But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip; and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." -Jesus Christ (Luke 22:36, see John 3:15-18)

I agree about the P228. Although I prefer to carry a Glock 26, I carry a P228 frequently and have found it to be satisfactory in terms of general carry comfort, weight, and concealability. Of course, it is also very well-made and reliable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back