Advice on blackpowder pistols

RPM

I'm buying my little brother a blackpowder revolver for his upcoming birthday. He's got it narrowed down to 3 models, the 1851 Navy Colt, the 1858 Remington New Army, and the Colt 1860 Army, all reproductions, not originals. He just can't seem to choose between the 3, likes the way the all look and feel, so I was wondering if anyone here has had experience with any of these pistols and could give me some advice.

I have shot all three, originals and repros, and there are advantages to the Colts and the Remington. The Remington is stronger with the solid top strap but seems to gum up faster than the Colts. The Remington has much better sights, since the Colts' rear sights are just notches in the hammer noses.

The Remington and the Colt 1860 both are .44 caliber while the '51 Navy is .36. If I were casting my own balls for them, I'd go with the Navy. A lot more bangs per pound of lead and powder. Caps will cost more for the Navy, more shots per pound remember.

I really like my repro Navy's and shoot them much more than I have my Remingtons or '60 Colts.

Bill Hickock liked Navies. FWIW.
I hope some of this helps.

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
"If there be treachery, let there be jehad!"

I have both a 1860 colt style, and a 1858 Remington style. For me the colt style is a little easier to clean and fits my hand a little better, however, it is a brass frame so I usually shoot the 1858. The 1858 will take a slightly longer conical bullet, and is fairly accurate if I us about 20 grains of powder. (the group tends to be about 3 or 4 time larger if I use a full load fo 30 grains. It still shoot better than I do. The main problem I have with the 1858 is that after 20 or 30 rounds my knuckle gets sore from banging into the trigger guard. I don't have that problem with the 1860, apparently there is just a little more space between the grip and the trigger guard.
They are both a lot of fun.

Jim

Hi, RPM,

As in everything else, you get what you pay for. I would avoid the brass frames and go for a good quality c&b revolver. I prefer the Colt type, but the Remington is fine. The guns from Colt Black Powder shoot well (they have deep rifling like the originals) but have been so heavily polished that corners are rounded and they look like heck. A good Uberti gun should be as good as any.

Jim

How many rounds can a brass frame pistol take before everything starts to loosen up or wear out and the gun is useless?

How long a brass frame will last depends on the loads you run through it. Mine has only had a couple hundred rounds, but most were 25-30 grain load, it is already showing signs of wear. That's another reason I usually shoot the 1858. By the way, the 1858 was a Italian made by F.lli Pietta. www.pietta.it and sold by Cabela's www.cabelas.com. I traded for it but I think it retailed for about 150.
Jim

Back