Advice on arisaka T38

tangolima

My T38 doesn't like the normal 0.264" jacketed bullets. They will tumble out of its muzzle. But the rifle shoots surprisingly well with 0.268" jacketed for carcano. Graf and sons used to have seemingly unlimited supply of factory second 0.268" at reasonable price, but no more. Now I will have to look for alternative.

The rifle has polygonal rifling. I slugged the bore. Between opposing "vertices", the distance is 0.2675". Can't remember the distance between the "flats", but it is like 0.01" less.

It is difficult to find cast bullets to fit this bore. I can't cast so I have to buy commercially. Here are the options that I have been pondering.

1. Try the 0.267" gas checked cast bullets from Gardner's cache. The bullet size is not an ideal fit, but it may work. Unfortunately they don't sell samples. 500 bullets minimum order.

2. Buy gas checked 6.8mm (0.278") cast bullets and sized them down to 0.269" or 0.270". Lee used to make custom lubrisizer for $35. But they have stopped taking custom orders for a while. I assume the sizing operation will take care of the gas check as well.

3. Buy bullet sizing dies from ch4d and size down 0.278" jacketed bullets to 0.268" in 2 steps.

4. Pay one-time set up charge to big Sarge for their custom sized powder coated bullets, sized to 0.270".

I am leaning towards option 2 and 4. Your inputs are much appreciated.

-TL

I am leaning towards

Let me do a little bit of rooting around. I know for certain I have a couple of molds for a 6.5, but I don't remember what the weights are or the as cast diameter is. I "THINK" they are both GC'ed.

I'll check the diameters on them and if they are close I don't mind passing along a few samples for you to try out. What you you consider to be a good size and weight? I "think" the ones I have are in the 160gr weight range...

Let me do a little bit of rooting around. I know for certain I have a couple of molds for a 6.5, but I don't remember what the weights are or the as cast diameter is. I "THINK" they are both GC'ed.

I'll check the diameters on them and if they are close I don't mind passing along a few samples for you to try out. What you you consider to be a good size and weight? I "think" the ones I have are in the 160gr weight range...
Hi, Mike,

That would be most helpful. Thanks in advance!

One of my options is to purchase the cast bullets from gardnerscache.com. It is 160gr sized to 0.267" with gas check. It will help me verify its performance in my rifle, if your mold can make samples of similar weight and size. No big deal if not. I will be grateful to have anything to try on. Will be glad to pay the shipping.

Thanks again.

-TL

Back