Advice on a finicky Ruger

JJ45

Hello, I have a pre warning 5.5" Single Six convertible.

Long story but Ive tried MANY brands of both .22 LR and 22 mag ammo and it does not shoot any LRs or Magnums well....EXCEPT for Winchester DynaPoint 45 grain magnums which turns the pistol into a sub 2 inch grouper at 25 yards.

I know that the Single Six bore is sized for the slightly larger diameter mag bullet and the fact that the Dynapoint is plated and not jacketed probably has something to do with its good performance in MY particular revolver.

Any similar PLATED only or slightly oversized RF ammo, whether LR or magnum do you know of?...I'd appreciate any suggestions.

I know those will say their single six shoots everything well, etc. but every weapon is different.

PLEASE take no offense to this. Try cleaning the daylights out of the bore and cylinder. Not being abrasive, but I mean sparkling clean. After it is military inspection clean run a 50 round pack of CCI-Stingers through it to "foul" it. Then test for groups. Good luck, Pikie

That's quite odd, as I have found the Dynapoints to be absolute garbage -- both in dimensional consistency and performance.

The best ("non-premium") plated load that I have found to work well in nearly everything is the Federal Game-Shok 31 gr HP. However... production runs are few and far between (has been that way since the Barackalypse). Finding some may be difficult; and it's likely to be expensive if you do.
The only sliver of light, in regards to that load, is that Federal shipped a batch about a month ago.

Clean the gun well with a brush, and then try some CCI standard velocity in it.
Not Plated but it may give you some good accuracy, if you have only tried plated .22 lr ammo.

My only Ruger 22 revolver is a 1970s Super Bearcat and of course that is 22 LR - but it shoots much better than I do.

As already mentioned - give it a thorough cleaning. That said, if it isn't shooting well with either cylinder - then I'd be giving it a thorough examination as well - i.e. check the forcing cone first and see if there is any lead build up or damage.

Second, I'd be checking the timing as well. This should be fairly easy to do - unload your revolver and check each of the cylinder. i.e. - cock the pistol and then put a rod down the barrel from the muzzle and pay attention to see if it is entering each of the chamber throats or if there is any "hang up" which would indicate that it is "out of time". It wouldn't take very much "out of time" and misalignment between the chamber throat and the barrel to deform a bullet on the way through - especially a .22. Or, have a competent gunsmith take a look at it.

If it is giving poor performance and you can't figure out why, then I would give Ruger a call and see what they have to say. They might want to have it back to take a look at it. Ruger gives good customer service and it may pay to give them a call.

Good luck and keep us posted as we can all learn from it. :)

If we are simply throwing out ideas to see what sticks, might also be worth the exercise to mark each chamber and shoot six different groups, keeping absolutely each group from it's own chamber... and see if you can make a conclusion from that.

Not hard or time consuming-- you can even mark just ONE chamber. Have six distinct targets down range and make the first shot on the "top" target, always starting with same chamber and shooting each target in order.

As to the recommendations to thoroughly clean the bore -- I second that, and use a copper scouring mesh wrapped around a brass jag. Be gentle near the muzzle end of the barrel but otherwise -- don't be gentle and scrub that bore.

Back