Advice on 44 magnum revolver

N2GUNZ

I am in the market for a 44 magnum revolver. I have not decided what to buy yet. What revolvers should I look at before I make a decision.

629 or SBH

IMO a 5" S&W 629 is the best general purpose forty-four. If you're primary interested is hunting than I'd say a 7 1/2" stainless Ruger Super Blackhawk. -- Kernel

Why do you want to buy one? Target shooting? Concealed carry? Hunting Moose?:)
  • Look at as many different brands as is possible. The deciding factor (other than price) should be the grips. The gun should feel comfortable in your hand. Of course, you might change the grips if they don't fit your hand.But,do you want to spend $500.00 on a gun and $35.00 on new grips and then decide it's not a comfortable fit?
  • My first choice would be a Colt Anaconda. Taurus and Ruger have some nice models to look at. I understand the Charter Bulldog is a decent inexpensive revolver if you can find one.If you find a Smith&Wesson you like, which would be the first choice for many posters here, Please buy a used one.
  • As to what length of barrel,please refer to question #1.:)

I've been looking at 44's for some time now and have finally decided what I'm going to buy. If you look at S&W's Performance Center listings you'll see that they recently expanded it A LOT! Yes I know S&W are politically, well, stupid but I still like their guns, particularly the Performance Center ones.

Camfour has a PC 44 that is just so ugly its pretty. Green finish with black cylinder. Just got to have one!

I don't own one but I kinda like those Dan Wessons. I also like the idea of interchangeable barrels. From what I hear they are a pretty rugged gun as well. My .44 is an out of production Interarms Virginian Dragoon, if you can find one of these they are a good gun. Good luck with your choice.

Ditto on the advice about grips, make sure you like the fit.

Last summer I purchased a NIB Smith & Wesson model 629 Classic .44 Magnum with a 5" barrel. This is perhaps
the finest, stainless steel handgun that I have seen.:D
Not being a PC model, it has the slickest double-action
among the hundreds of firearms that have passed through
my hands.:) Fit and finish are perfect; with no tool marks
visible.:) I would highly recommend this weapon to anyone
seeking a big-bore revolver.:D

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, Life Member N.R.A.

Normally I favor the 5"
But I really like the 6.5" powerport 629.

Too many choices! What are you going to do with it?

Robert

3S&W629s.JPG

Nice pic Robert, my friend.:) I bet those .44's shoot good
in the postal pistol match; don't they?

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

Hi Dan

I use the 629 V-Comp every once in a while, but the 627 V-Comp and 625 are my weapons of choice, with a very girlish load of Bullseye. They will be joined by a five inch 610 soon. And of course, there is the six inch 657, for those more trying days when nothing else works.

Robert

nu2,

Can highly recommend the 5.5" stainless Redhawk; easy-carrying, strong, accurate, and strong. Did I mention strong?

My preference and recommendation is a Dan Wesson Model 44VH or 744VH if you prefer stainless. Strong and very accurate out of the box. Used ones are usually bargains.
The Ruger Super Blackhawk is another bargain amoung .44 Mag revolvers.
No dogs in any of the previous posts either. Find the one that you like, and enjoy your search.
Take Care

Kenneth L. Walters

Yes, Smith & Wesson has made the Light Comp Hunter slab side in 41 Magnum. It has been in and out of production for a few years now. This is the 625 Light Hunter in 45LC, but the 41 Magnum looks the same.

Robert

pc625-hunter_med.jpg

My vote goes for my Ruger SBH which has a 4 5/8" barrel. Based on personal experience, if you just got to have a DA, I'd recommend the S&W 629PP. Had one a few years ago and foolishly traded it. :) Dennis

Are you set on a .44? If you handload, you might want to check-out .45 Colt ballistics before making a decision. A .45 Colt can do just about anything that a .44 will do, with lower chamber pressures & less recoil. Just a thought.

Mine is a Ruger Super Redhawk 7.5" SS 44 Mag. Great shooting piece, superb value for the money. This gun comes complete with Ruger's excellent 1" scope rings, making scope mounting that much easier, hassle-free and less expensive.

.44 mag

S&W 629 calssic DX .. if it is not going to fit your hands.. convert the round butt grip with a hogue squair butt grip .. rubbrt or wood ..perfict gun

Back