Advice needed

I need help. I am going to purchase a new rifle but have certain criteria. I want a bolt action in 22-250 with a bull (heavy) barrel. It must have an adjustable trigger and have a 1 - 12" twist and be either 24" or 26" long. The gun must be receptive to changing barrels and calibers. The other barrel would be in .308. Together, I would like to keep it under $1000.00. I'm having difficulty finding such a weapon. Any suggestions? I will settle for a shorter barrel if the other criteria are met.

Not sure of all the guns and models out there but for a tinkerer looking for a swap barrel gun the Savages are really where it's at. Seriously look at a Stevens 200, replace the trigger with an adjustable aftermarket, buy a barrel or two, a new stock, some go/no go gauges and a barrel wrench and you're good to go. Should be able to get everything (both barrels) for a grand plus/minus.

Edited to add: After a little thought a Stevens build for $1000 might be a little optimistic depending on the stock and barrels. If you're not opposed to the accu-trigger a factory .22-250 bull barrel Savage in what ever flavor you find should leave you enough left over to get the .308 barrel and still come in at or under $1000.

Last edited:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoE4XEp3zq8

But for the price, you could buy two rifles and decent optics to go with them.

You could do it with a Savage bolt action (with a barrel wrench and some headspace gauges), but they're not exactly intended to be used that way.

I don't know that you're going to get quite what you want for under $1000 unless you can tolerate a break open action and go with something from Thompson Center.

If it absolutely has to be one rifle with interchangeable barrels, I have to stand behind the Savage recommendation. Otherwise, if two rifles is an option, you can certainly get two decent rifles for under $1000, and your brand options would be fairly wide, though it would most likely be at the expense of getting really good glass on them. The optics can always be upgraded later, though, and how good it needs to be really depends on what you need it for, so the cheaper glass might do you just fine, depending.

Thanks for the advice

Today I have spent a couple of hours on the phone with both Savage, Thompson Center (S&W) and Jim Briggs of Criterion barrels. After weighing all things learned today, I'm going with the Savage Model 12FV in 22-250. Additionally, I'm getting a 22" sporter barrel in .308 with the necessary tools to swap barrels. Between the Model 12FV, the .308 barrel (with tools) and the Simmons 6 - 24 x 50mm Predator Quest scope, I can come in right about the $1000.00 mark. The 1 - 12" twist in the 22-250 is for bullet stability using lightweight bullets (55 grain). The .308 barrel will have a 1 - 10" twist for 150grain bullets. I am a happy camper. Thanks to those of you who offered advice. I appreciate it.

Back