Advice Needed: .50 Cal Precision Piece

Well, with the recent spate of legislation, I guess this is the time to pick up a quality .50 cal rifle....they may not be available to mere mortals for long.

With the various offerings, first hand experience and advice is welcome.
Rich

I have fired the Barrett, and it is awesome. SEmi Auto .50 bmg is just tooooo cool. It is also a bit pricey, and if you can justify spending THAT much money, you may not be a mere mortal anymore anyway....

I choose the LAR Grizzly Single shot Bolt, MUCH cheaper, and, for my money, just as accurate. It is shootable from the shoulder, but it is not meant to be pickup up by little guys like us, let alone shoulder fired!

From the bipod it is not bad at all.

On the tripod that comes with it is it rather like firing a VERY LOUD .223.. hardly any kick at all.

I have a Swarovski 6-24x50 on it now (the one you saw on my precision .22 at your house), but I originally had a 6-24x40 Tasco World Class target on it and it worked fine.

J. Ross has a very lightwieght one that he shoots from the shoulder with a big honkin' muzzle brake. I think it is a McMillan, deos that sound right? He'll be at the shoot in June and he has infitely more experience than anyone else I know.. you can talk big bore with him then, if you don't have three .50bmgs by then. ;)

------------------
-Essayons

My personal choice of those that I have shot are the Robar and MacMillan versions.
Both use the excellent MacMillan action.
the stocks, brakes, and barrels differ.
The Robar is available with a cool side folding stock, and the MacMillan is available in a downsized shorty "carbine" called the Desert Rhino.
A buddy of mine has one of the Rhinos, and loves it. I have not shot it yet, but he is about my size (XXpuny) and it doesn't bother him. It has a BIG muzzle brake.

Do any others have websites besides Barret and Armalite.

Armalite has the AR-50 (a bolt action .50 bmg). Does anyone know anything about them?

Rich

MD is right on about that Robar. A friend of mine has one (lucky bastard), and boy can that thing shoot.

I've also heard Accuracy Int'l makes an exellent one. Saw one for sale at www.gunsamerica.com under Tact/Sniper Rifles, asking prince $10k.

I've tried an AI in .308. Definitely a well made precision rifle.

Back