Advice from any LEO's out there

Bonehead Baker

I travel a lot, mostly in my car, thru about 20 states for my business. I always carry a gun with me a lot of the time more than one. I have a CCP from the state of North Carolina. All the states I cover have reciprocity with North Carolina. If you are stopped by the police in NC, you must declare you have a gun and promptly show the CCP and ID. What do I do when I am out of state? Do I declare I have a gun? Do I allow a search of the car if I am stopped for I traffic violation? Can they search my car without my permission on only a traffic stop? Etc, etc, etc.

Just because a state has reciprocity with another state does not mean that their laws pertaining to CCW are the same, or that the one state will respect the other's laws. You need to obey the laws of the locale you happen to be in.

Used to be, we could check this out at www.packing.org, but that site seems to be defunct. Now, it seems like the best place to check on such is handgunlaw.us

I typically recommend revealing it off the bat, believing it to place the proclaimer in the good guy category in the eyes of the majority of LEOs.

I said this in another thread where folks were discussing getting out of state carry permits and driving across the country with their concealed weapon, but it didn't even get noticed in the thread.

To be frank, anyone who carries a concealed weapon out of their own, issuing state is a complete nutbar if they carry that weapon in to any state where they haven't done their research, and all of their research.

If you show up in Ohio, get pulled over for not using a turn signal or have a license plate bulb out (it is Ohio afterall) and you don't let the officer know first off that you have a permit to carry concealed, that's a felony. A felony-- do you think you'll continue to keep a concealed weapons permit from your state with a felony on your record?

I'm not pointing fingers, especially at the original poster. I'm just shocked that anyone living in this country who knows all the idiotic little laws that can get a concealed carry permit yanked would actually wander out of state without specifically knowing the laws. That's a horrible risk that I would think a sensible, law abiding person would avoid.

A felony on your record simply because you didn't know, and didn't research it. I would think every state in the union has concealed carry laws available from a state-run website.

I have read all of the restrictions and statutes from the states I travel in. The one question I can't find the answered to in all of these states is the one I asked here concerning the declaration to the officer making the stop as it applies to nonresident CCP holders traveling in their state. I guess simply put, if a law in a state says for residents to declare a gun if stopped that must apply to nonresidents as well. I think I must be over thinking this thing looking for a particular statute. I just had a DUH moment!!:o

It's a pretty sad day when good, law abiding folks have to go thru all of this b.s. to protect their own lives and the lives of their families just because some schmuck in a hat might get ticky-tacky and want to throw his weight around.

I'LL DECIDE on how best to protect myself and my family, no one else. I'm sure there are politicians, judges and cops that don't like that or agree with that. Tough scat. Whether to carry or not is a matter of opinion and I don't give a damn about theirs.

As to notifying a cop if I'm carrying, I'll tell the State Police but not the locals. The Staties have always been decent. The locals, not so much. I trust myself more than I trust them. Besides, if they don't see it and more importantly if they don't hear it...:D

They can't search your car for a simple traffic stop unless there's a good reason for them to suspect that something is amiss. Or unless you give them permission.

There is no way to answer your initial question without knowing which state you're asking about.

It's a pretty sad day when good, law abiding folks have to go thru all of this b.s. to protect their own lives and the lives of their families just because some schmuck in a hat might get ticky-tacky and want to throw his weight around.
Brother, it is a sad day indeed. It's not 1955 out there... you can't take the neighbor's car if you need to run to the store and your wife has your car. You don't leave the doors unlocked all the time anymore. Neighbors don't look out for each other and keep watch over the entire block.

We live in a different time. We can complain about it, and maybe that helps, but it doesn't change where we currently find ourselves. If you want to risk a criminal record for something that we can both agree is ignorant and obnoxious, but a law just the same, that's a personal choice that you've made that you may get the pleasure of dealing with for the rest of your days.

Whether to carry or not is a matter of opinion and I don't give a damn about theirs.

The state and federal governments don't classify it as an opinion. You can use that argument if you find yourself in court, and you can use that argument when telling your cellmate "what they got you on." I wish you the best of luck.

I couldn't find anything on TN's website regarding your question. I can tell you that when I took the CCP class, the instructor told us that we should hand the officer our DL and permit and inform him/her that we are carrying a weapon. I don't know if it is the law or just a courtesy to the officer.

The law is different in each state. I live in Kentucky and we are not required to notify an officer that you have a concealed firearm. Interestingly though, when they run your license in their system, along with your vital information, the system also displays if you have a CCW license "enforce".

In my opinion, it is always best to let the officer know and it's vital that you understand the law prior to visiting other states.

This is so messed up. Did you know that law enforcement officers can get busted for this same thing? Unlikely to happen I suppose unless the officer from the other state decides to get ticky tacky.

Everytime a national carry bill gets proposed it gets shot down. Are they so afraid to let law abiding citizens defend themselves? Criminals don't bother REGISTERING! Are they afraid of off-duty cops crossing state lines and carrying a weapon?

Joe Blow goes to the government and says hey, I want to exercise my right. Here are my fingerprints, look at my background, AND put me in a database. I have nothing to hide, and they have a problem with this?

Traveling with Guns

bonehead baker:

For someone in your position I highly recommend the "Travelers Guide to the Firearms Laws of the Fifty States". Available at www.gunlawguide.com for about $13.00. It's a pamphlet that is updated every year, covers all fifty states, you can carry it with you on trips, and answers all of the questions you have asked.

Different Subject: What does a bonehead baker bake?

That sounds really messed up! There is no way I am going to say "I have a gun" to a cop who just pulled me over. I would recommend removing your CCP and ID, placing your CCP on top of your ID, winding down your window, leaving your hands on the steering wheel until the officer is at your window, then pass him your CCP and ID and remain silent until he has a chance to look at it. LEO's are smart, they will know what it is, even if it is out of state.
I always give my CCP first, and certainly never blurt out I have a gun, especially if reaching to find my wallet.

As previously stated, obey the law of the state you are in. A great resource can be found here:
http://www.nraila.org/recmap/usrecmap.aspx
if you travel a lot then do what I do, print the following out and leave a copy in your vehicle:
http://www.nraila.org/recmap/Recguide.pdf

If you are stopped by the police in NC, you must declare you have a gun and promptly show the CCP and ID.

Last edited by a moderator:
jbradshaw
For someone in your position I highly recommend the "Travelers Guide to the Firearms Laws of the Fifty States". Available at www.gunlawguide.com for about $13.00. It's a pamphlet that is updated every year, covers all fifty states, you can carry it with you on trips, and answers all of the questions you have asked.

I agree 100%. I bought this book for the state I live in, and I have already used it once this year and will use it again in June when I travel through 3 states outside of my own. It's a handy little guide to have.

They can't search your car for a simple traffic stop unless there's a good reason for them to suspect that something is amiss. Or unless you give them permission.

Hey John,

Is there any positive stories about a citizen refusing to allow LEO search their car and LEO just drop it at that? Most of the ones I have heard of when the cop asks to search, if you refuse, they will FIND a reason to search it. Most LEO's are outstanding professionals doing their job, but there are some nutballs out there.

Now granted, in court, it would be dismissed, most likely, but you have the hassle of going through all of the legal mumbo jumbo to get to that point, so does just saying, illegal search and seizure work anymore?

Is there any positive stories about a citizen refusing to allow LEO search their car and LEO just drop it at that? Most of the ones I have heard of when the cop asks to search, if you refuse, they will FIND a reason to search it. Most LEO's are outstanding professionals doing their job, but there are some nutballs out there.

You don't hear about them because ...you don't hear about them. You only hear about the exceptions. Plenty of people turn down searches and go on with their driving. I've seen multiple threads on multiple gun boards where that was the case.

Traveling In Alabama & CCW

Alabama does NOT require a individual to tell an officer about having a concealed weapon in the vehicle.

Personally I appreciate being told.

If you show up in Ohio, get pulled over for not using a turn signal or have a license plate bulb out (it is Ohio afterall) and you don't let the officer know first off that you have a permit to carry concealed, that's a felony

Can someone show me the Ohio code on this? First I've heard of it.

According to OHIO Revised Code (ORC) 2923.12,

IF CARRYING you do have to inform and keep your hands visible and not touch the gun and comply with LEO instructions.

If the gun is loaded or ammunition is ready at hand it is a felony.

2923.12 Carrying concealed weapons.
(A) No person shall knowingly carry or have, concealed on the person’s person or concealed ready at hand, any of the following:

(1) A deadly weapon other than a handgun;

(2) A handgun other than a dangerous ordnance;

(3) A dangerous ordnance.

(B) No person who has been issued a license or temporary emergency license to carry a concealed handgun under section 2923.125 or 2923.1213 of the Revised Code or a license to carry a concealed handgun that was issued by another state with which the attorney general has entered into a reciprocity agreement under section 109.69 of the Revised Code shall do any of the following:

(1) If the person is stopped for a law enforcement purpose and is carrying a concealed handgun , fail to promptly inform any law enforcement officer who approaches the person after the person has been stopped that the person has been issued a license or temporary emergency license to carry a concealed handgun and that the person then is carrying a concealed handgun;

(2) If the person is stopped for a law enforcement purpose and if the person is carrying a concealed handgun, knowingly fail to keep the person’s hands in plain sight at any time after any law enforcement officer begins approaching the person while stopped and before the law enforcement officer leaves, unless the failure is pursuant to and in accordance with directions given by a law enforcement officer;

(3) If the person is stopped for a law enforcement purpose, if the person is carrying a concealed handgun, and if the person is approached by any law enforcement officer while stopped, knowingly remove or attempt to remove the loaded handgun from the holster, pocket, or other place in which the person is carrying it, knowingly grasp or hold the loaded handgun, or knowingly have contact with the loaded handgun by touching it with the person’s hands or fingers at any time after the law enforcement officer begins approaching and before the law enforcement officer leaves, unless the person removes, attempts to remove, grasps, holds, or has contact with the loaded handgun pursuant to and in accordance with directions given by the law enforcement officer;

(4) If the person is stopped for a law enforcement purpose and if the person is carrying a concealed handgun, knowingly disregard or fail to comply with any lawful order of any law enforcement officer given while the person is stopped, including, but not limited to, a specific order to the person to keep the person’s hands in plain sight.

(C)(1) This section does not apply to any of the following:

(a) An officer, agent, or employee of this or any other state or the United States, or to a law enforcement officer, who is authorized to carry concealed weapons or dangerous ordnance or is authorized to carry handguns and is acting within the scope of the officer’s, agent’s, or employee’s duties;

(b) Any person who is employed in this state, who is authorized to carry concealed weapons or dangerous ordnance or is authorized to carry handguns, and who is subject to and in compliance with the requirements of section 109.801 of the Revised Code, unless the appointing authority of the person has expressly specified that the exemption provided in division (C)(1)(b) of this section does not apply to the person.

(2) Division (A)(2) of this section does not apply to any person who, at the time of the alleged carrying or possession of a handgun, is carrying a valid license or temporary emergency license to carry a concealed handgun issued to the person under section 2923.125 or 2923.1213 of the Revised Code or a license to carry a concealed handgun that was issued by another state with which the attorney general has entered into a reciprocity agreement under section 109.69 of the Revised Code, unless the person knowingly is in a place described in division (B) of section 2923.126 of the Revised Code.

(D) It is an affirmative defense to a charge under division (A)(1) of this section of carrying or having control of a weapon other than a handgun and other than a dangerous ordnance that the actor was not otherwise prohibited by law from having the weapon and that any of the following applies:

(1) The weapon was carried or kept ready at hand by the actor for defensive purposes while the actor was engaged in or was going to or from the actor’s lawful business or occupation, which business or occupation was of a character or was necessarily carried on in a manner or at a time or place as to render the actor particularly susceptible to criminal attack, such as would justify a prudent person in going armed.

(2) The weapon was carried or kept ready at hand by the actor for defensive purposes while the actor was engaged in a lawful activity and had reasonable cause to fear a criminal attack upon the actor, a member of the actor’s family, or the actor’s home, such as would justify a prudent person in going armed.

(3) The weapon was carried or kept ready at hand by the actor for any lawful purpose and while in the actor’s own home.

(4) The weapon was being transported in a motor vehicle for any lawful purpose, was not on the actor’s person, and, if the weapon was a firearm, was carried in compliance with the applicable requirements of division (C) of section 2923.16 of the Revised Code.

(E) It is an affirmative defense to a charge under division (A) of this section of carrying or having control of a handgun other than a dangerous ordnance that the actor was not otherwise prohibited by law from having the handgun and that the handgun was carried or kept ready at hand by the actor for any lawful purpose and while in the actor’s own home, provided that this affirmative defense is not available unless the actor, prior to arriving at the actor’s own home, did not transport or possess the handgun in a motor vehicle in a manner prohibited by division (B) or (C) of section 2923.16 of the Revised Code while the motor vehicle was being operated on a street, highway, or other public or private property used by the public for vehicular traffic.

(F) No person who is charged with a violation of this section shall be required to obtain a license or temporary emergency license to carry a concealed handgun under section 2923.125 or 2923.1213 of the Revised Code as a condition for the dismissal of the charge.

(G)(1) Whoever violates this section is guilty of carrying concealed weapons. Except as otherwise provided in this division or division (G)(2) of this section, carrying concealed weapons in violation of division (A) of this section is a misdemeanor of the first degree. Except as otherwise provided in this division or division (G)(2) of this section, if the offender previously has been convicted of a violation of this section or of any offense of violence, if the weapon involved is a firearm that is either loaded or for which the offender has ammunition ready at hand, or if the weapon involved is dangerous ordnance, carrying concealed weapons in violation of division (A) of this section is a felony of the fourth degree. Except as otherwise provided in division (G)(2) of this section, if the weapon involved is a firearm and the violation of this section is committed at premises for which a D permit has been issued under Chapter 4303. of the Revised Code or if the offense is committed aboard an aircraft, or with purpose to carry a concealed weapon aboard an aircraft, regardless of the weapon involved, carrying concealed weapons in violation of division (A) of this section is a felony of the third degree.

(2) If a person being arrested for a violation of division (A)(2) of this section promptly produces a valid license or temporary emergency license to carry a concealed handgun issued under section 2923.125 or 2923.1213 of the Revised Code or a license to carry a concealed handgun that was issued by another state with which the attorney general has entered into a reciprocity agreement under section 109.69 of the Revised Code, and if at the time of the violation the person was not knowingly in a place described in division (B) of section 2923.126 of the Revised Code, the officer shall not arrest the person for a violation of that division. If the person is not able to promptly produce any of those types of license and if the person is not in a place described in that section, the officer may arrest the person for a violation of that division, and the offender shall be punished as follows:

(a) The offender shall be guilty of a minor misdemeanor if both of the following apply:

(i) Within ten days after the arrest, the offender presents a license or temporary emergency license to carry a concealed handgun issued under section 2923.125 or 2923.1213 of the Revised Code or a license to carry a concealed handgun that was issued by another state with which the attorney general has entered into a reciprocity agreement under section 109.69 of the Revised Code, which license was valid at the time of the arrest to the law enforcement agency that employs the arresting officer.

(ii) At the time of the arrest, the offender was not knowingly in a place described in division (B) of section 2923.126 of the Revised Code.

(b) The offender shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and shall be fined five hundred dollars if all of the following apply:

(i) The offender previously had been issued a license to carry a concealed handgun under section 2923.125 of the Revised Code or a license to carry a concealed handgun that was issued by another state with which the attorney general has entered into a reciprocity agreement under section 109.69 of the Revised Code and that was similar in nature to a license issued under section 2923.125 of the Revised Code, and that license expired within the two years immediately preceding the arrest.

(ii) Within forty-five days after the arrest, the offender presents any type of license identified in division (G)(2)(a)(i) of this section to the law enforcement agency that employed the arresting officer, and the offender waives in writing the offender’s right to a speedy trial on the charge of the violation that is provided in section 2945.71 of the Revised Code.

(iii) At the time of the commission of the offense, the offender was not knowingly in a place described in division (B) of section 2923.126 of the Revised Code.

(c) If neither division (G)(2)(a) nor (b) of this section applies, the offender shall be punished under division (G)(1) of this section.

(3) Carrying concealed weapons in violation of division (B)(1) of this section is a misdemeanor of the first degree, and, in addition to any other penalty or sanction imposed for a violation of division (B)(1) of this section, the offender’s license or temporary emergency license to carry a concealed handgun shall be suspended pursuant to division (A)(2) of section 2923.128 of the Revised Code.

(4) Carrying concealed weapons in violation of division (B)(2) or (4) of this section is a misdemeanor of the first degree or, if the offender previously has been convicted of or pleaded guilty to a violation of division (B)(2) or (4) of this section, a felony of the fifth degree. In addition to any other penalty or sanction imposed for a misdemeanor violation of division (B)(2) or (4) of this section, the offender’s license or temporary emergency license to carry a concealed handgun shall be suspended pursuant to division (A)(2) of section 2923.128 of the Revised Code.

(5) Carrying concealed weapons in violation of division (B)(3) of this section is a felony of the fifth degree.

(H) If a law enforcement officer stops a person to question the person regarding a possible violation of this section, for a traffic stop, or for any other law enforcement purpose, if the person surrenders a firearm to the officer, either voluntarily or pursuant to a request or demand of the officer, and if the officer does not charge the person with a violation of this section or arrest the person for any offense, the person is not otherwise prohibited by law from possessing the firearm, and the firearm is not contraband, the officer shall return the firearm to the person at the termination of the stop.

thanks NavyLT for posting Ohio law on ccw. on another forum i was told i didn`t know what i was talking about on this subject and a few others. person telling me all about ccw and Ohio law happened to be an attorney from California. best advice to you Bonehead is personally check laws of states in question. my advice to attorney in Cali. stay there and stay out of jail.

Back