Advice for right handed/left eye dominant shooter?

DougB

My 8-year-old son is right handed (though it took him a long time to decide and he still switches if the left is more convenient). But when I let him shoot a rifle (under VERY close supervision) he tries to aim with his left eye. He must have inhereted this from my wife, who does the same thing (on the rare ocassions when I can get her to shoot). Anyway, it just doesn't work. So, my question: Should I try to get him to use his right eye (maybe by using an eye patch), teach him to shoot left handed, or is there some other answer I haven't thought of. Any suggestions or experiences would be appreciated.

I had the same problem. A younger guy I'm training has it, too. I've overcome it; he hasn't.

The only answer I can give you is make him learn to shoot right-eye dominant. The eyepatch idea doesn't sound that bad-- never did it except to allow my left eye to rest while shooting extended bouts of .22 before a match.

This problem becomes most apparrent when shooting pistol, and watching the groups widen with two sight pictures emerging. Make him get right-eye-dominant by rifle, and maybe the pistol will come along.

Good luck. Wish I had a better answer.

I'm right handed/left eye dominant. I learned to shoot when I was about 5. My dad taught me to shoot lefty, and I have to this day (I'm 35). To me it seems completely natural; I can't remember when I strugled with it, I became accustomed fairly quickly. In fact, it makes some things easier, reloading for instance.

I say stick with shooting lefty, all he has to do is train his hands, and that will come with practice.

I think you first need to establish which is his master eye. There is a difference between "handedness" and "dominance".

Get him to hold a pencil out at arm's length, both eyes open, and "aim" at something. Then close each eye in turn. With one of his eyes, the pencil will stay on "aim". With the other, it will appear to "jump" to one side.

The eye where it stays aligned is his master eye, or dominant eye. I don't believe you can teach anyone to shoot successfully with the non-dominant eye doing the aiming -- with both eyes open, perhaps.

If his right eye is his master, teach him to shoot right-handed. If it's his left, vice versa.

Sorry, that's the best I can offer.

B

I started shooting rifles left-handed as a child. I couldnt close my left eye and leave my right open, but I could close my right and leave my left open(brain damage or something). As I got older I could close either eye but continued shooting rifles and shotguns left-handed until I went in the Army.
My left eye is my master eye and right-handed pistol shooting has never been a problem.
Point is I wouldnt worry much about it, particularly with a young shooter.

------------------
Better days to be,

Ed

My son was right handed/left eyed. You can't fool mother nature, the eye will always be dominant and learning to shoot lefty from the beginning will just seem natural to him. It will pay off big if he ever takes up shotgunning sports.

Mikey

This problem becomes quite obvious in action shooting, such as skeet. An alternative to the eye patch is to place a bit of scotch tape over the shooting lens of the dominant eye. Then have the shooter practice very frequently, but no more than 1 hour per day.
Rich

Hey, I'm not alone! :)

Personally, I've tried everything I can think of and have been told to try.

The best thing that worked for me was a small bit of electrical tape over the left lens of my shooting glasses, but when I whacked my head on a protruding beam, that sort of put a damper on the whole thing.

Now, with rifles, I use the left hand/shoulder with left eye thing, and with pistols, I switch back and forth (right hand goes with the right eye, left hand goes with the left eye).

Doing things this way makes for a bit a variety, keeps things interesting. And I've discovered over the years that what really makes a difference in my accuracy and precision is how tired I am.

Duncan

The only experience I have with this is that one of my shooting buddies/hunting pards is right handed and left eyed. He taught himself to shoot everything lefty and is very good at it, especially with shotguns.

I've got the same "problem", and it really made things dificult learning to shoot, until I learned what the problem was. Now, I just make the mental adjustment to concentrate on my right eye when shooting, and over time, it has become a habit for me to focus on my sights with my right eye. It just takes practice.

BTW, I just got back from a dove hunt, and outshot the other 8 guys in my party.

My son has the same "problem". He does quite well with skeet and handguns, but has real problems with a rifle unless we cover his left eye. We tried several times trying to teach him to shoot left handed, but that just did not work.

He gets real fustrated with it. I have printed out this entire thread to let him know that this is not uncommon. Thanks, we will keep working on it.

Im right handed, blind in right eye. I shoot a handgun with right hand, left eye. I do Ok. I shoot a rifle or shotgun left handed, I don't do anywhere near as well. I would say try the patch, if for no other reason than to avoid using the left eye/right hand aim. My wife also does this, until I make her stop and use her left hand.

------------------
CCW for Ohio action site.
http:/www.ofcc.net

Thank you all for sharing your experiences. Its good to know that a lot of people have overcome this little obstacle (albeit with different approaches).

It'll be a couple of years before my son is mature enough to really get involved in shooting, but I'm inclined to try "forcing" him to use the right eye. One reason is that so many guns are designed for right-handed use. I seem to be able aim okay with my left eye IF I keep my right eye closed. I know that isn't ideal, but it seems like it might be the best compromise.

But if that doesn't work, I'm certainly open to just having him learn to shoot left-handed. He's somewhat ambidexterous anyway, so I don't think it would be very hard for him.

Anyway, thanks again. I'm printing out this string for future reference (of course, I'll continue to check for a few days in case more suggestions are offered).

Doug

Back