Advice for an amateur rifle builder

ligonierbill

We see lots of custom rifles on Gunbroker, from works of art to cobbled up from the spare parts bin. One cobbled up piece caught my attention, actually appeared to be well done given the pieces and the price. I'll be out of town for a bit in a place with no cell service (Yes!) and so won't be placing a bid. But it got me thinking, why not gather the parts and build my own.

My experience consists of two Jim Chambers flintlock kits and one from scatch rifle currently under construction. If you know Chambers' kits, they are of the highest quality, but not exactly screw together and apply some stock finish. I've changed a few triggers, but I've never reamed a chamber or connected a barrel to action. But I'm reasonably good with tools, rebuilt an old Alfa Romeo, and my schedule is my own.

So, flintlocks are literally lock, stock and barrel plus the furniture. For a classic turnbolt, I need an action, barrel, stock, magazine, sights, what else? Complete actions come up on GB. What should I look for? What should I avoid? There are a number of well known barrel makers, of course. Without breaking the bank, anyone you favor? Tools: chamber reamer, barrel wrench, go-no go gauges, any other specialty tools? I have benches, vices, drill press, etc.

Since I'm planning to put time and money in, may as well get an interesting caliber that I don't have now. Thinking 25-06 or maybe 6.5-06. Any other ideas, sane or otherwise? Any thoughts or advice are appreciated.

That was a long journey! I'm going to see what I can pick up in a large ring Mauser action, I think. The Enfield actions are interesting as well. This is going to be a 6.5-06. Love the old '06 case, love the 6.5 bore (great BC with reasonable weight bullets). There is a place here in Ohio (Oxford) that has some nice wood (have to look up the name). They supplied the stock blank for my current rock lock project with the barrel profile and ramrod channel cut and did a good job. This is more about the journey than the destination - I have plenty of rifles.

Back