advice colt agent

pocketman

I am looking at a colt agent blue,condition as new, factory colt hammer shroud with the stubby 2 finger grip. I dont have the serial # but it appears to be a late 60's early 70's model with the rounded front site. Looks like a perfect pocket gun. price is $350.00

Last edited:
Greeting's,

If this is an "old model" agent, $350.00 isn't
a bad deal. To be an old model, the weapon should
have an exposed ejector rod; and no shroud around
the hammer, which would make it no later than a
60's vintage piece. These guns were only offered
in the blue finish; as nickel was not available
on these weapons.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, Life Member N.R.A.

PS; Heck, at that price even the newer model looks
attractive.

It is and old model with open ejecter rod that goes to the end of the barrel. The hammer shroud has the colt logo. the serial # is A975xx putting its production date inthe late 1960's I think. 68-69?

Last edited:
Sounds like a very good deal to me. I bought one a couple of months ago down here that was tight but had a lot of finish wear (maybe 65-70% overall) exactly like what you are looking at and paid $269 for it and considered myself lucky.

I would grab it. It is a VERY cool little gun, and if you decide later that you don't like it you can EASILY get your money out of it. I love mine. It is so light it is almost scary.

I would not shoot a lot of +p out of it, although they are supposed to be safe. I keep mine loaded with standard velocity Nyclads. The Colt shop manual that i have recommends against ANY +P+ in them. They have several kaboom pictures of guns that had ONE round of +P+ fired in them.

That's not a bad price. Saw a Cobra of the same vintage last weekend for $325 in 95+ shape. Would suggest you give that orphaned Agent a good home.
Take Care

Thanks for the replies. I did buy it, but have not picked it up. (shop is an hour away) will get it friday or saturday. An older gent. (origonal owner) is consighning them, there is acually two of them, both apear to be nib,unfired. I knew it was a pretty good deal, but just wanted to know a little more about the agent model.
Thanks for pinning the date to 1970.

I have a Colt Agent from the mid sixties and I really like it! It has a removable shroud. It's a great shooter and easily concealed. The price sounds reasonable to me -- mine cost $100.00 but that was in August of 1967!:D
You won't regret that purchase!:cool:

I picked up the AGENT saturday, brought it home, and detail stripped it. It is in brand new condition inside and out.
I almost wanted to put it in the safe and drive back to the shop and buy the outher one for a shooter :D

It is for all purposes the same size as my S&W 342 but has an a sixth shot. I love that!

Over the years I've owned two detective specials but was not really enamored with them, I also owned a 1962 colt cobra that was a great shooter but I hated the grip,(to long) my preference has always been pocket carry, It conceals best for me on a daily basis.

I took it to the range with 50 rds of win clean 125g, a 100rds 148g lswc's and a box of fed. 110 pd jhp's. Its a great shooter, The trigger is super smooth, from the start I was shooting fist size groups from 20 feet, It is more shootable and I already get better accuracy from it than any j frame I've owned.

I have probally had a dozen of the small smiths, and have put close to 1000 rds through my current S&W, And the AGENT far outshoots them, Its a definite keeper, carries excellant in a unclemikes size 4 pocket holster, Its a shame what has happened to colt, If they had better management and produced a alloy rev. today of this quality they would be a big player in today compact revolver market. Now all I need is some ebony eagle secret service grips :D

I was given an Agent several years ago. It looked like a pos and the action would lock up. I took care of the action and painted it flat black. The paint would chip but it didn't look any worse. Since then I have rounded the butt and bobbed the hammer after wear several hole in the back pocket of jeans. It is one of my most carried guns, I guess I am thankful it was looked so bad. It is a great companion to my K-frames as they use the same speedloader. I cut notches in the handles so I can tell the 357 from the 38 in the dark. I still carry my J-frames but the Agent will always be special because of the one who gave it to me. I also have my grandad's Det. Special, never carry it anymore, someday will give it to my cousin or his oldest son. I always thought the Colts felt better in my pocket than a J-frame, did anybody else thank so??

It IS a shame what has happened to Colt. Compare a 2" Det. Special with a 2" M10 S&W and ask yourself who got it right. The Chiefs Special didn't come along until later.

Pocket guns make a world of sense and the small Colt revolvers are still viable pocket guns.

Maybe someone with more colt experience can answer that question, the cobra I had was the same size except it had a much longer banana shaped grip.

Last edited:
Jim Supica wrote a nice article on Colt snubbies back in the September 17th issue of "The Shootgun News." According to Jim's story, there have been several Colt revolvers over the years based originally on the Police Positive Special. The original Detective Special came out in 1927. When S&W introduced its Chiefs Special in 1950, Colt responded with the Cobra, a DS with an aluminum frame. This is the model (equipped with its optional hammer shroud) that Jack Ruby used in 1963 to dispatch Lee Harvey Oswald. In about 1962, Colt shortened the butt a tad to enhance concealability, calling this model the Agent.

I have an Agent made during the mid-1980's when Colt was cutting production costs and made them with a rough parkerized finish. They did the same with the Commando Special, a similarly finished but all-steel version of the D-frame Detective Special.

Colt fact's:

Old model Detective Special weigh's 21 ozs, the
Cobra weigh's 15 ozs, and the Agent weigh's a
mere 14 ozs. Detective Special's and Cobra's were available in nickel or blue; the Agent was only
offered in blue from the factory.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, Life Member N.R.A.

Back