• Anything ‘published’ on the web is viewed as intellectual property and, regardless of whether it displays a copyright symbol or not, is therefore copyrighted by the originator. The only exception to this is if there is a “free and unrestricted reuse” statement associated with the work.

In order to protect our members and TFL from possible litigation, all members must abide by the following new rules:

1. Copying and pasting entire articles from another site to TFL is strictly prohibited. The same applies to articles from print or other media, and to posting photographs taken of copyrighted pages or other media.

2. Copyright law provides for “fair use” of portions of a copyrighted work. You can copy no more than a SINGLE paragraph from the article to your post (3 or 4 sentences at most).

3. You must provide a link to the article along with the name of website. For example: ww.xxx.yyy/zzz (The Lower Thumbsuck Daily News).

4. You must provide, in your own words, a brief summary of the article AND your reasons for believing it will be of interest to TFL members. Failure to do so may result in the thread being closed or your post being deleted as a “cut and paste drive by.”

5. Photographs and other images are also copyrighted. "Hotlinking" of images (so that it appears in your message) from other sites is also prohibited unless you own rights to the image. If you wish to share an image, provide a clickable link to it.

Posts that do not follow these new guidelines will be altered or deleted by staff. Members who continue to violate this policy may lose their posting privileges at TFL.

Thank you for your cooperation and your participation in TFL, the leading online forum for firearms enthusiasts.

Advertising on this site?

Dan Newberry

Hello,

My name is Dan Newberry, and I'm wondering whether or not the site accepts advertising.

We have recently expanded our long range shooting classes in Southwest Virginia, and I'm also offering OCW handload consulting, for any interested. (OCW is Optimal Charge Weight, referencing the load development method I designed about a dozen years ago)...

Anyway, I don't see any ad banners and have not seen any clickable links in any signature lines... so I thought I'd better ask what the protocol here is, and if it's possible or not to purchase advertising, or to put a link to my website in my signature line (if signatures are allowed).

We are also hosting long range shooting matches here in SW Virginia, shooting steel out to 1040 yards. So far, the matches have turned out quite well, and we're still learning as to how to run them more efficiently so as to allow more than 20 shooters at a time.

Anyway, any advice would be appreciated. I note that TFL is high among google searches over and over again, seeming to rank above the vaunted ar15.com when one searches for "rifle" or "shooting" and "forum"... so this seems like a popular place. :p

Thanks for any help and advice,

Dan

Dan,

TFL is an ad free site but we would VERY MUCH appreciate your participation. Your name comes up quite frequently in our reloading forum and a good number of our members have used and continue use your techniques. I first heard about your methods 2 or 3 years ago from our Handloading forum moderator, UncleNick.

We do have a Competition forum also, where you can announce events.

I'd sure like to see you stick around and be a regular contributor.

You're welcome to put a link to your homepage in your Sig line, the caveat being that the intent is to contribute to the forum, with your Sig line "along for the ride", as it were, not being the reason for posts, if you know what I mean.

Brian,

Thank you for the kind welcome. And I do get your drift about not just posting to gain exposure for our shooting school, or handload consulting or whatever... :)

I have done free OCW consulting for years... and through forums like this one, I do plan to continue helping as many in the shooting community as I can--free of any charges. When I began shooting and handloading, lots of folks helped me by offering sound advice, and much of that sound advice came through internet forums like this one. And it's always good to "pay it forward" whenever possible.

You have some great handloading advisers here, and I know I can't add a whole lot to that body of knowledge. But what I can do is help interpret OCW test targets, or give suggestions as to good bullet and powder combinations which might help a rifleman find the load he's looking for.

It sounds like this board is run as a true service to the shooting community, rather than just some financial endeavor--and that's refreshing to know, especially after another forum I checked with wanted 2400 dollars for a six month ad, and that was the minimum they offered. Small time folks just can't get their foot in the door there. :o

I'll hang around as much as I get time to, and hopefully I can contribute something useful. :)

Dan

Back