Advantage Arms .22LR Commander unit on full size ATI frame

Trooper Joe

Just received my Advantage Arms .22 LR conversion unit for a 1911 frame. Decided to install it on my full size ATI .45 Mil Spec frame. (Photo shows the ATI full slide in front of the AA unit installed.)

Everything fit perfectly except for some very slight sanding on the bottom plate of the AA magazine. Snap caps and dummy rounds seemed to feed with no problem.

Will try get out to the range tomorrow and will report back.

Was going to put the unit on my Combat Commander but wanted to see how it looked and worked on a full size frame first. Unit looks like it was made for the full size ATI frame turning it into a neat “Commander” size .22 LR, 1911.

Trooper Joe

Had a chance to function test this gun today. Have three magazines for it (two more added since I bought it which had to be lightly sanded also).

Tried CCI 40 gr solid point and they worked as expected. Then tried some CCI 36 gr hp which are not supposed to work but worked perfectly. Last I tried some Federal bulk pack which would not function at all. Seemed to be too low power to cycle the slide.

Ordered a 19# hammer spring which I will put in. Probably the bulk Federal stuff will function with that.

I also have a Walther/Umarex made Colt 1911 .22LR. This gun functions with everything including the Federal stuff.

I am glad I put this conversion kit on my ATI full size frame instead of messing up my Combat Commander.

Trooper Joe

I love my .22 conversion. I bought the basic Ciener conversion several years ago and mounted it on a mongrel frame I got from Sarco for $25. (It's a REAL mongrel!) It shoots very well and it's just fun to shoot.

Back