Adopted some rifles this week.

rburch

So my uncle is getting ready to retire and is downsizing, so he gave me some new toys.

I believe they are a Lee-Enfield #4 mk1, and a 1950 model Belgian Mauser.

Both were sporterized for hunting but seem in good shape overall. The Lee sear/mag catch spring was cracked, and the mag catch has a hairline crack in it, so I'm waiting for replacements.

I think I'll return the lee to military trim, it's pretty much just the forestock handguards and bands, and a couple small parts I'd need, but not sure what I'll do with the Mauser.

IMG_2379_zpsi6c6gdr2.jpg

IMG_2380_zpssi217k1s.jpg

King Leopold?
IMG_2382_zpsf1l14ige.jpg

IMG_2381_zpsfwxohowa.jpg

Not sure why they did that to the rear sight...

Looks like fun. I would probably weigh the costs of taking that Lee back to military style but then again it might not be worth it. But you never know and if that's what you want then that's what you want.

I had a #1 Mark 3 for about a year and then sold it. It shot fine but I got bored of it. Probably because I already had a Remington-Lee.

Nice!! Both aren't so far gone they couldn't be restored. However, if it were me I'd just enjoy both as is. I care more about functionality of a firearm than if it is in the correct configuration, and your rifles look functional especially when you replace the needed parts on the #4.

Yeah, I had a chopped Mark III when I was a kid. I bet I easily saw over a hundred cut down Brit rifles out in the deer woods when I was younger. At one time, they were really popular. Mine was really a shooter with Remington box ammo and open sights. It may surprise you. Have fun.

I plan to enjoy them as shooters for the immediate future, but I've wanted a Lee-enfield to go with my Mosin, and VZ24, so eventually I'll get her back the ways she was.

The Belgian I'm not sure about yet. Leave it as is and enjoy it probably.

I have a full military trim Czech, and a sporter Spanish Mauser that's going to get full custom hunting rifle treatment, so this one isn't calling to me as a project.

Both rifles look great to me, especially the Mauser.

I think you have the right idea in leaving the Mauser as it is. I sure wouldn't drill and tap that beautiful receiver in order to put a scope on it. - But I would have it drilled and tapped it on the side to accommodate a quality receiver sight.

A light, handy stalking rifle... Elegant, too.

Last edited:
"...did that to the rear sight..." There are hordes of people who do not understand how to use a peep sight. So they cut off the peep. Done to M1 Rifles too. Easily and relatively inexpensive to replace. $18.20 for a stamped rear sight from Gunparts. $6.75 for a mag catch.
As with any Lee-Enfield(that's a No.4 Mk I or Mk I*. Model and where and when it was made should be stamped on the receiver. Good thing if the headspace is bad. Easier to fix but just going up one number guarantees nothing.), especially 'sporterised' types, check the headspace before you shoot it. Thousands of 'em have been assembled out of parts bins with zero QC.
And slug the barrel. Not all of 'em are .311". Only an accuracy thing, nothing to do with safety though.
"...return the Lee -Enfield to military trim..." Will cost a ton of money. You're at$25 for 2 parts already. A forestock runs $32.00. Hand guards(2 required) start at $8 to $16 . Mind you, it's not the wood that costs. It's all the wee metal bits.
1951 Belgian Mausers came in .30-06. Slugging its barrel will tell you what calibre it is. That crest is not a proof mark though. Apparently the 'ABL' signifies Belgian military issue.

Op said 1950 model. Easier than slugging is to try to chamber a dummy 30 06, if it goes its an 06, if it doesn't its probably 7.65.

"...Op said 1950 model..." Picture of the crest clearly says 1951. They were stamped 1951 and 1952 and made for the Belgian Army and Navy in those years. The Model is nominally a 1950 though.

Parts came in for the 303 today, I'll try to get them installed tomorrow.

After that I'll see about getting the headspace checked and then we buy some ammo.

I might have to give up the Mauser though, he gave me three 22 rifles as well and one is a Winchester model 52.

My brothers will probably get upset if I keep all the guns.

And not sure keeping the 303, the Mauser, and the Winchester and giving up the JC Higgins is going to be fair.

If he gave them to you who cares. If he gave them to you two as a group than it could be a problem. Communication is key.

Before my grandpa went to live at the V.A. he told the people he wanted to leave a gun to that they should come over and pick one. It was kind of first come first serve but out of the 50 some odd guns the 20 people that were given the option picked what they wanted with little fighting. Some got $50-150 guns and others got $500-800 guns. The person who got the $50 gun had just as much opportunity to get the $800 one.

People who wanted more might not have been happy but they were given options to buy leftovers.

Back