Adopted Another Smith & Wesson

44caliberkid

I was contemplating buying a Taurus Raging Hunter 357 with 8 inch barrel. I’m always on the lookout for old Smiths and had followed a bunch of auctions to their conclusion for long barreled 586’s, most selling for $1100 to $1300. Finally scored this no dash 586 for $700, after auction fees, shipping and transfer it totaled $869, about the same as the new Taurus, and I by far prefer the S&W.
Shot it this morning. Sub 2 inches at 25 yards, using both factory 158 gr. FMJ and my handloaded 158 gr. LSWC with Unique. Zero muzzle flip with all that steel out front. SA trigger is light and DA is butter smooth, could be factory or possibly had a trigger job. Came with Pachmyer rubber grip too and original box. 50 yard testing is next.

Attachments

• IMG_2935-compressed.jpeg
    IMG_2935-compressed.jpeg
    458.4 KB · Views: 117
There is no comparison between Taurus and a S&W. It’s a no brainer. I’ve had the long barreled L frame S&W 357s but don’t recall ever shooting one. Have shot a bunch of
27-2 with 83/8” tube, they shoot like a rifle. I get trades all the time but only keep the P&R era and older S&Ws.

In March 1984, I bought (new) an 8-3/8" bbl 686, no dash. Looks just like yours - except the finish, of course.

I still have it.

Although I've long since taken a liking for the shorter barrels, I still take mine out for a shoot a time or three each year. When I take my Henry 357 lever-action out, my 8-3/8" 686 almost always comes along. Shooting the same target, with the same ammo (full-power hand-loaded 158gn JSP's), I am just as accurate with my 686 (admittedly, I'm not great with a rifle - I'm more a revolver guy).

Nick, I’m of the same opinion. I think this revolver can shoot every bit as good, inside 100 yards, as my lever action 357 rifle.

Back