Adjusting Windage on Fixed-Sight Pistols

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skorzeny

I have a Springfield Loaded 1911 with what I assume to be the factory Novak sights.

The rear sight appears to be a bit crooked (mounted off-center). Is there anyway I can adjust this personally without having to send out to a gunsmith (or to the factory)?

I appreciate any help.

Skorzeny

------------------
For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the supreme excellence. Sun Tzu

I know with my Ruger MKII, the rear sight can be adjusted for windage by lightly tapping it one way with a mallet.

------------------
Lee Moreau
Baton Rouge, LA

Drift it over with a brass punch. I have a short piece of brass bar that I use. A 30-06 case (unprimed) would probably work. Support the slide in the padded jaws of a vice. Put the base of the brass against the side of the sight and lightly strike with a hammer. Keep an eye on the slide that it doesn't fall if the vice is loosened by the hammering. Don't ask me how I know about this. The brass marks should easily clean up with your bore cleaner.

I like to put a small piece of duct tape on the end of the brass punch. No brass marks to remove.

------------------
Join the NRA.

It's also a good idea to mark a reference point on sight and frame with a welder's soapstone marker or the like so you'll know how far you've moved it.

Thanks for all the replies.

However, I have a Novak sight on the Springfield "Loaded" and it has some sort of a screw in the middle on the top.

I am not tool-savvy at all, so I am at a loss as to how to loosen this before I start banging away with a mallet and a punch.

Any thoughts?

Skorzeny

------------------
For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the supreme excellence. Sun Tzu

Um, an allen wrench? Skorzeny, absolutely no flame meant here, but you do seem to be toolly challenged. It might be a good idea to take it to a gunsmith and simply ask them to adjust the sights so they are right on at the yardage you want them to be. You can't go wrong doing that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back