Adjusting sights?

Ok - I'll give it a try . . .

Means fine tuning your sights for windage (left/right) and elevation (up/down) so that your point-of-impact equals your point-of-aim (where front and rear sights line-up).

As for how to do it, it varies with the type of sights involved. Some sights are fixed front & rear - no adjusting. Others are fixed front, adjustable rear but only for windage. Still others are . . . hmmm, I'm not a very good teacher . . . perhaps someone else can chime in?

Adjustments are made to sights when, provided that the problem doesn't originate from user-error, the point of impact of the fired projectile does not coincide with the point of aim.

Some sights are easily adjusted. Some are not. Most handgun sights are seated in a dovetail and are adjustable to the right or left (windage adjustments) only by forcefully moving them with a sight pusher or vice and punch. Up and down (elevation) adjustments are usually more difficult on handguns and require replacement of front or rear sights with ones that are taller or shorter; however, some rear sights on handguns can be elevation-adjusted.

When an adjustment is needed, usually, one only needs to adjust either the front or the rear sight...but not both. Usually, the adjustment is made to whichever one is the simplest to manipulate.

This is overly-simplified perhaps but will hopefully answer all your general questions. For more specific answers, we will need more details about your particular gun and what problems you are having.

attachment.php

Image above shows a 6 o'clock hold. Red dot represents POI.
1. sight alignment - front sight and rear sight lined up.
2. sight picture - sights are also in line with the target.
attachment.php

POI (point of impact) -- point where bullet hits
POA (point of aim) - point where you set your sights on the target.

Adjusting Sights:
1. move rear sight in the same direction as desired POI or
2. move front sight in the opposite direction as desired POI.

Depending on sights, adjustments can be accomplished by filing down, replacement, turning a screw, tapping, etc.
1. Fixed dovetailed sights are usually adjusted for windage by tapping.
1. Fixed dovetailed sights are usually adjusted for elevation by filing or replacement.
3. Adjustable rear sights - turn screw to adjust.

Attachments

• sight_picture.jpg
    sight_picture.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
Different weights of bullet & power of the loads will change the point of impact as well so they allow you to "tune" for many different loads.

What's a discussion without pictures??? (Worth a thousand words...)

Blued adjustable sight Ruger Blackhawk
http://beta.ruger.com/products/newModelBlackhawkBlued/models.html

Blued fixed sight Ruger Vaquero
http://beta.ruger.com/products/vaqueroBlued/models.html

I like Rugers and I like adjustable sights. That said, there was one time at the range where I raised up my mid-sized .357 magnum revolver (not a Ruger) during a timed event and was amazed to find the rear sight blade was missing. The kind of thing that now makes me say 'well' but at the time I used more colorful language. Never did find that rear sight blade.

For range guns and fun guns I want adjustable. For a carry gun I can certainly agree with folk that want fixed sights that are practically fool proof.

Back