Adjusting Eye Relief after sighting-in?

CoAmateur

Inactive
I own a Remington 7mm mag hunting rifle. I just took it to the range today and got it all sighted in...but I was reminded of a problem that has always been present: the "eye relief" seems pretty off. It's actually always been a nuisance to me and never been super comfortable—I bought it used and the scope was already mounted, not fit or personalized to me. I'm wondering if there's a way to adjust for eye relief without affecting the rest of the scope (now that I've got it sighted in). I have a hunting trip coming up in a few weeks (and would like to avoid all the time and $ associated with going back to the range if possible—there are non in close proximity)...thus the reason for asking.

It's a Simmons scope.

Thanks everyone!

Last edited:
You should be able to make "witness marks" (scribed lines with a pencil along the length of the tube & over the rings) & then simply back off the clamp screws a tad & slide the scope tube to a new position without rotating the tube. Once done you can wipe off the pencil marks.

Unfortunately the scope will have a fixed eye relief (its a part of the design) but you might make the positioning better for you & so make it more comfortable.

I'd be surprised if you can move the scope and keep the zero. That is rare and would require NO angle in the mounts at all, no rotation and torqueing to the same specs.

I'd adjust and then re-zero. Otherwise, deal with it this year and get to the range and get it sighted in and set up for you in the spring.

+1 for Mark. Don't expect it to hold the same zero. You might get lucky but I would never count on it without rezeroing at the range.

Move the scope, you've moved the sight. You'll have to re-bore sight and sight in again.
Assuming you have the load that your rifle shoots best, doing that shouldn't be excessively time or ammo consuming.
Checking the sights be something you should do when you get wherever you'll be hunting too.

wogpotter + 1

Pretty much as wogpotter has suggested and it might surprise you just how little it is off from your initial settings. Regardless, you will still need to make a final check. Hopefully you are not using the old weaver style rings. As others have mentioned the scope's internal eye relief is set and you now have to find that spot. ..... :)

When I set up a scope, that is the first measurement and set I make and then follow up with the rest. Everyone has a different point at setting their external eye relief. I like as close to an internal full field as possible. .... ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COoXVpGfXQE

Be Safe !!!

Absolutely check it after moving.
Moving the bases on the rail I'd expect an issue, but just sliding the tube back & forth without rotation shouldn't be a problem (hence the witness marks).;)

I got a new scope last week, got it sighted in, after realizing it was hitting the bottom of the cantilever mount. After fixing the mount and moving the scope back an inch, I had to rezero my elevation about 6 clicks. Not a big deal, sighting in a scope should only take 5-6 rounds so long as your on paper.

I can all but guarantee you'll still be on paper. I've done this before. In fact you may not even have to make any adjustments to your scope, if you do it'll only be a small amount. I wouldn't move the scope and go hunting without getting to the range and shooting it, but you shouldn't be off very far. It won't be like a long shooting session where recoil wears you down.

If it is too far to justify another trip use it as is until you get a chance to shoot it. This might be a good excuse to buy a better scope.

What I've done, that has worked decently, is to use a bore sighter, make note of where the scope is set in the bore sighter. Leave the bore sighter in place, Reposition the scope, tighten everything back down and check to see where it is positioned in the bore sighter. Make adjustments back to where it started. This has always gotten me within an inch of where it was sighted in.

I can all but guarantee you'll still be on paper. I've done this before. In fact you may not even have to make any adjustments to your scope, if you do it'll only be a small amount. I wouldn't move the scope and go hunting without getting to the range and shooting it, but you shouldn't be off very far. It won't be like a long shooting session where recoil wears you down.

If it is too far to justify another trip use it as is until you get a chance to shoot it. This might be a good excuse to buy a better scope.

X2

Shouldn't matter much, at all- unless the rings are out of alignment, and the zero is based on the tube being stressed/bent in some way (which could be..., and why you need to check).

With a perfectly aligned, stress-free mounting it should make no difference far as I can see...

On Bore-sighters .... options

One of the best Bore-Sighters is the one God gave you, so very long ago. On bolt-actions or bores you can "peep" from the breech to the bore. Secure the rifle/barrel. Peep through the bore onto your mark or target. Then slowly look through your scope. The rest is up to you and I can assure you that you will not only be on the paper but pretty darn close. This is my initial check when setting up new scopes for folks. Just for the heck of it, the last one I did, I took it from my stand, to the range and I was right on elevation and three inches at 9:00 at 100YDS. ...... ;)

I own four (4) bore-sighters and on a given bore, all will differ even if it's just slightly. I can gripe about that but can't about my dominant eye. .... :D

Be Safe !!!

If you change anything in the mounting system, you must check zero. You can simply change the torque on the ring screws 2 inch pounds and move zero. Shooting a couple shots to verify zero is not a major undertaking.

Thanks everyone! This has been super helpful. I think the safest route is probably re-checking at the range. Might be a good opportunity to get a new scope, as well...as I've never been really satisfied with what I have. Thanks again for all the advice. Much appreciated!

Take it somewhere that will mount the scope for you and have them adjust the eye relief for you. Cabela's does this, along with some others.

Back