Adjustable Sights on a Ranch/Truck Gun?

Beretta686

I'm busy tricking out my new Glock 20 that I'm going to use as my Hunting/Ranch/Truck gun. As that, it's going to be carried in a holster when I'm hunting or strolling around the family ranch, getting banged against things and such. When it's not on that Ranch it's going to be my truck gun as I travel all over TX and LA about 30% of the time for work.

I'm going to put Fiber Optic sighs on it with the front one being a tritium & fiber optic. My question is whether it's smart to add adjustable rear sights to a gun that's going to be bumped into things? It's not like I'm going to be parachuting or fighting tigers underwater with this strapped to my hip, but it's not going to get babied either.

Geeze . . . when I saw "ranch gun" I got all excited thinking it was a thread on a 45 Colt SAA. What? A Texan carrying a fancy semi-auto on a ranch! Gene Autry and Roy Rogers are going to be turning in their graves! :D:eek:

Can't answer your question. I've never shot a Glock although it's on me "to do list". I'm pretty much a revolver guy and actually prefer the simpler sights - i.e. blade front and grooved frame back. I would think that the front sight you are talking about would be very helpful though. As far as a adjustable rear sight, I'd be looking at how rugged they are and if they could early be whacked out of kilter. As careful as a person is, stuff still happens.

If you go with an adjustable sight, I'd also be looking at a holster that would cover it and protect it somewhat. Most of my favorite Smiths are of the M & P / Model 10 type with the simple sights. I do have several other models with an adjustable rear sight and I have holsters for them that protect the sight.

I had a couple of early Glocks, back when they came with the adjustable rear sight. The one on my 17 didnt last real long, as I clipped the corner of a door jamb with it while in my holster, and it broke right off. Luckily, I could still use the notch in the "base" as an impromptu rear sight until the fixed sight replacement arrived.

Ive found the adjustable sights tend to be somewhat fragile, especially with hard use, and holsters that dont protect them.

Other than my S&W revolvers, that came with them, the guns I normally carry have more robust fixed sights installed, and I just learn my holds for longer distances, which I find I practice less and less these days anyway, as my eyes keep going south. At closer ranges, 25 yards or so and in, the fixed work fine for me.

There are lots of lower profile adjustable rear sights now ...and even some red dots.../ that you can put on carry guns..

So I don't really see a downside to it ...

Not babying a gun is one thing...but carrying it in a good holster, that fits the gun with the sight you pick ....should protect the sight just like it protects the gun.

The pistol I carry most is a Ruger 22/45 with adjustable sights. It gets clunked, banged, and bounced around a LOT. Sight misalignment doesn't seem to be an issue(haven't had to resight in the many years of packing it).
I often "unload the chamber" by taking a rested shot at an 8" gong @100 meters-and usually hit. If the sights were off I'd notice.
My question: does the Glock need adjustable sights? My experience with Glocks(very limited) is they're more of an "area fire" type gun except at very close range.

My experience with Glocks(very limited) is they're more of an "area fire" type gun except at very close range.
I belonged to a range that required you to qualify at 100 yards with a handgun, before you could shoot at that range with one.

I used my Glock 17 (its what I had with me) loaded with what I was carrying at the time, Federal 9BP. The target was 3'x3' with a 12" bull. I shot 5 rounds leaning across the bench. 3 out of 5 were in the black, with the two out, being just off the black. That was the first time Id shot that far with a Glock.

If you put a little more time in with one, the "area" thing will likely shrink.

Oh, the boy who shot just before me.... did so with a 2" Model 36 S&W. All his were in the black.

Why does anyone want a fiber optic sight ? In the sunlight it GLOWS but not in the shade ! Two different POI s . In metallic silhouette that meant 2 clicks at 50 yds ! Yes I know they are very popular but that doesn't mean good.
A better solution would be a Patridge with three dot if you like .

My question is whether it's smart to add adjustable rear sights to a gun that's going to be bumped into things?

No, and that's exactly why I wouldn't have fiber optics on it either. Glock's little plastic rear sights are prone to get knocked catty-wampus. Fixed steel OEM sights are what you want on it and you might as well have night sights while you're at it.

I carry a pistol all the time while beating around the farm, cutting wood, clearing fences etc. and I can tell you my handguns take a worse beating there than they ever have in my duty holster.

Back