Adjustable Objective or Not?

Diablo

Inactive
I am buying a Leupold 3-9x50 Vari-XII. I don't know anything about optics! What is the advantage of the adjustable
objective? I'm putting it on a savage 110FP. I don't think I'll be shooting past 300 meters.

thanks!

Adjustable optics are great. You get a wide field of view at the low stting and a better sight picture at the high setting.
Actually, most adjustible scopes are used at only one setting that suits the shooting conditions in which the rifle is being used. After you figure that out from experience, then you might just as well have a fixed power scope. It saves some on bulk, weight and maybe reliability.

The adjustable objective is to eliminate parallax. Parallax is an optical error that makes the crosshair appear in a different position if your eye alignment with the rear occular is not in the same place every shot. When you adjust the objective to bring your target into sharpest focus, and maintain a consistent cheek weld, you are eliminating the worst of the parallax effect.

Most sporting scopes are fixed focus at about 100-150yds, this is not satisfactory in scopes meant for long range shooting.

------------------
Cry "Havoc!" and let slip the dogs of war.

Diablo,

Welcome to The Art and TFL.

The advantage of a AO (Adj Obj) is that scopes w/o AO are set to be parellex free at a given range. Parellex is when you can move your head a little as you look through the scope and the cross hairs move (just a tad) in relation to the target. Not much mind you but still a move.

When you are shooting for preceision accruacy (read ittle bitty groups) any movement of the crosshairs in relation to target point of impact can open up your groups.

With a AO scope you can "dial" in where the scope is set for parellex (just like focusing a camera). You then have an extra level of precision if you don't get exactly the same cheek weld on the rifle.

You may want to read the info on Leupold's web site about scopes... Click Here. It is basically a "Primer/FAQs" on scopes. It may help ya some.

------------------
Schmit
GySgt, USMC(Ret)
NRA Life, Lodge 1201-UOSSS
"Si vis Pacem Para Bellum"

AO also clears up the cross-hairs from any distance. If you're doing target shooting and or varmiting and bullseye hits really matter AO is the way to go. I have a Bushnell Banner 6-18X50mm AO scope on my Savage 10FP .308 rifle and if I am doing 500yard targets the AO helps me clear up the target and the bullseye. AO is what many Police sharpshooters and sportmen sharpshooters use for practice shots and or situations. But some do not like them because they only shoot at targets less than 150yards and fixed scopes work for them best. But in the military it is an useful tool to have to make direct hits. But it is up to the shooter.

------------------
"They may kill me, but there will always be more like me". -EDA

They told me,"throw down your guns, return to the earth...HAH! time enough for the earth in the grave". -EDA

"Giving up is not in my vocabulary". -EDA

"Do not fear the governments, that fears you". -EDA

I think it depends what you are doing with the rifle. For most hunting, AO is just one more thing to have out of adjustment at a critical moment. Varmint shooting and targets are another matter and the AO has some benefit there.

Hate to disagree PJR but...

Some of the most popular and successfull series of scopes used by LE and Military personel are the Mark4 and Tactical series from Leupold and they ALL come with side focus AO.

Reducing/eliminating parallax is very important regardless of the type of shooting.

I won't argue with any of the above comments.

I've used a Leupold Vari-X II since around 1970. Parallax was taken care of with adjustment of the eyepiece. Focus is sharp at close range, or out at 450 yards--my longest deer kill.

I have a Vari-X II 2.5-8 on my .243. Same comments.

I went back to four-eyes in 1970; bifocals in the late 1970s; tri-focals since around 1990. Zero problemo with my Leupolds.

When I'm walkin' and huntin' I set'em on low power. When I'm sittin', I jack it up a bit.

On a 350-yard deer, I wuz on 3X; I didn't plan it that way, but it just happened. The deer didn't know the difference. I notice people worry a lot.

Next question?

Have fun, save money...

Art

PS: Add-on comment: Unless you're shooting field mice out at 300 yards, you'll probably do well to find a good used K-4 at a gun show. A lot of this scope stuff is pickin' fly poop outta pepper.

:), A

[This message has been edited by Art Eatman (edited June 05, 2000).]

For hunting big game at distances of 300 yards or less an adjustable objective is just not needed. In most scopes parallax at 300 yards is only going to be about an inch or less. If you are target shooting or varmint hunting and extreme accuracy is required, then they have their place. I don't target shoot or hunt varmints, so none of my scopes have AO's.

From photography background: focusing adjustments are great. Zoom capability may be OK in a sporting rifle but IMO shouldn't be used on combat guns. Zooms are more prone to flare and are more fragile than fixed magnification sights.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Oleg Volk:
Zoom capability may be OK in a sporting rifle but IMO shouldn't be used on combat guns[/quote]

A man after my own heart! Exactly why my "precision" rifle sports a Leupold Mark IV, M-1 10x.

[This message has been edited by Schmit (edited June 06, 2000).]

The only thing I can say is I can't wait to get my Leupold Vari III 6x20 50mm with side adjustable AO. I will use that on the Rem 700 VS in .308 that I don't own. I plan on taking coyotes, pigs, deer, and many a squirrels with that combo. Or maybe I will just stick to the rem 700 .30-06 that I would never think of endangering my family with by having it around the house or in the gun safe I don't own either.

The point? I want my new scope but I don't have the funds! Patience.

Back