Added 3 S&W Revolvers to My Accumulation

lamarw

I attended a live auction Saturday and was blessed to win three "new to me" Smith and Wesson revolvers.

The first one is a Model 25-2 in almost perfect condition. It does show a slight turn ring on the cylinder. It is in .45 ACP.

The second one is a Model 29-2 with a factory nickel finish that is beautiful to the eyes. It is a .44 Magnum with a 4" barrel.

The truly great one of the threesome is a .44 Hand Ejector Triple Lock shipped out from the Factory to W. S. Brown Co. of Pittsburg, PA on December 8, 1915. The original nickel finish is at least there although displaying some loss. This is a desirable revolver and rather hard to come by. There were only 13,753 of these in .44 S&W Special produced.

Attachments

• 352[1]Mod25-2.jpg
    352[1]Mod25-2.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 114
  • Mod29-2.jpg
    Mod29-2.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 116
  • TripleLock.jpg
    TripleLock.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 120
Congrats! All three are classic revolvers in the truest sense but, monetary value aside, if I could only have one of them, it would be the Model 25-2 (aka 1955 Target), hands down. My being a committed Bullseye shooter for the past fifty or so years probably has some influence on my preference. :)

Great pickups. I don't know that I've ever even seen a triple-lock. I had a 25-2 for a while but sold it unfired (by me).

Never had a nickel 29, but that one is a beauty. I had a blue 4" at one time. These days the only 44 mag I've got is a 4" 629-4.

Thanks to all for the nice comments. CajunBass, This is the first triple lock I have ever seen in person. There were some firearms of a lifetime at this auctions like German Drillings and more Parker shotguns than Santa could get on his sleight. One double barrel .410 Parker sold for $20,000.00.

On a gun like the Triple Lock, do you leave the finish as is for collector value? Or do you refinish? I’m not a collector so have no idea if that is in the collector category or not. Either way it is a very nice piece of S&W history, the grandfather of many excellent models.

Very good question NWPilgrim. On a rather rare gun, it is best to leave as much of the original finish as possible. Refinishing it will destroy a lot of the value. One point of value is the percentage of original finish remaining.

Once I receive this one, I will ensure there is no rust remaining where there is nickel loss and then seal the finish with Ren Wax to protect the remaining finish. (Ren Wax = Renaissance Wax)

lamarw,

Don't know if you are familiar with the Model 25-2 (as well as the 25-5), but S&W was making many of them with oversized cylinder throats (.455" - .456" instead of .452"). Would be a good idea to check yours as they don't shoot particularly well with undersized bullets. I make proper sized bullets for them if you need them.

Don

USSR, I have read of the problem but thought it was with the .45 Colt. This one is in .45 ACP. I have a Model 25-13 in the Mountain Gun configuration; although I don't think there was an issue with it.

lamarw,

Involves the 25-2 as well. I've got one that's never been fired with throats at .455" - .456" that I cast bullets at .455" for.

Don

OK Don, I am a little confused here. I know you are correct about the .45 Colt (.455 - .456) in the Model 25-5 and the Model 25-2. I was not aware of an issue with the .45 ACP round (.452) in the Model 25-2.

I think my confusion comes with the .45 ACP in the Model 25-2. Is there a problem with the .45 ACP bullets in the 25-2? Maybe, I am thinking of the wrong dimensions since I have never molded my own bullets.

Thank you for the help or at least your attempt to help this dummy. :confused:

lamarw,

Okay, so the .45 Colt throats are supposed to be .452" (after WW2 production guns) because the jacketed bullets they now make for them are .452". Problem is, some 25-5's have .455" - .456" throats, so you get better accuracy with them using larger lead bullets. With the 25-2 (.45 ACP) most of the jacketed bullets are .451" and should have .451" - .452" throats, BUT, some of the 25-2's have .455" - .456" throats, so you get better accuracy with them using larger lead bullets. Only way to know is measure your throats.

Don

Back