Active hearing protection, any suggestions?

san_chang4837

Hello everyone,

I usually use earplugs and/or earmuffs at the shooting range. However, I don't like how I can't hear conversations on the range.

I was thinking of getting an electronic earmuff from Walmart, but then I read a few threads here where people really liked the "Sonic Defender" earplugs (not really active, but sounds like it).

Is there anything else that I should be looking at? Does anyone know of any electronic or active earplugs? The Sonic Defender doesn't sound like it can amplify low noises, but I like the size, hence the question.

Let me know if anyone has any suggestions. Thanks a lot. Budget range is up to $100 depending on how nice the gear is.

Active Ear Protectors

I fly and tried to use Bose Active Noise Reduction Headphones. At $1,000 they work great, but I do not like not being able to hear the engines at least a little.

When I heard about the shooting type that allows you to hear, then cuts out when there is noise, I figured I would try them. I like them now that I am used to them and use them for indoor rifle and pistol shooting. I was also shocked at how inexpensive they were. Half the price of my fitted ear plugs.

On the clay fields I still like the old fashion way and have been using custom fitted ear plugs for years. Keeps out the background noise, which during a registered shoot I like as I would rather concentrate then hear people talking.

Bob

I use the mechanical diaphragm type quite a lot outdoors. (Sonic Valve 2 type) Sorry, I can't post a link its in violation of the forum copyright rules. They work fine despite the poor NRR ratings they get. The ratings are done using a continuous sound level which doesn't close the valves so they look really poor when in fact they are pretty decent for pulsed sound waves (like shooting).

They do not cut sounds "heard" through the skull by conduction though, unlike earmuff types so I don't find them "enough" on indoor ranges.

Thanks a lot for all the responses. I have seen the Howard Leight earmuffs before.

It looks like I'll be trying first the plugs with the mechanical diaphragms.

It also seems like the cheap electronic earmuffs work well too. I will probably try those later if I need more protection indoors (I did not think about my skull conducting sound, good point).

There is another recent thread about wearing hearing protection when hunting. In that thread, least one senior member gave his opinions on several of the muff types. If I recall, he really liked the Caldwell muffs for performance which also happen to be some of the most affordable.

Budget range is up to $100 depending on how nice the gear is.

You can scrimp on reloading equipment. You can scrimp on jeans. You can even scrimp on the cut of meat you eat for supper.

Do not scrimp on hearing protection. Sell your bicycle if you have to. But don't scrimp on hearing protection.

Ask me why I say this. But you'll have to shout over the cicadas in my ears.

Another vote for the howard leight's I have them and love them. I bought my dad and my other shooting buddy a pair and they've been more than pleased when using them.

I once had a pair of Lee Sonic Ear Valves.
They were not really very quiet, apparently a lot of the blast gets by the little diaphragm before it can close.

I am on my third set of electronic ear muffs. They do work, but I find myself using my plain Midway and Pro muffs more. They weigh less, cost less, and do I really want to be listening to chit chat while I am trying to shoot?

I had to use hearing protection for many years for work. We had quarterly safety meetings. Lots of time was spent during these meetings on hearing protection. The installation of the foam plugs was crucial. If they are not put in correctly, they are almost useless. I usually used muffs with the plugs as I do most of the time when I shoot. I would like to find an active headset that would allow me to hear well enough to carry on a conversation between groups, yet provide the same protection level as my Remington muffs. The Remmy muffs are bulky, and get in the way a little when I shoot, but are far better than the other 4 or 5 sets of muffs that I have used. I think that the testing parameters for rating muffs is bunk.

The installation of the foam plugs was crucial. If they are not put in correctly, they are almost useless.
Very true. I did a new employee certification for high noise environments. We'd usually have a "experienced" applicant demonstrate the method, then use that as a springboard for correct installation. One even put them up his nose (no kidding, really) as he thought they were to prevent bad smells.

For the record this is the correct way.

Roll the plug between the thumb & first finger to compress the foam
Reach over the top of the head from the opposite side with the hand on that side.
Gently grasp the top of the earlobe. Now pull gently upwards. (This straightens the ear canal).
Slide the compressed foam plug into the ear canal rotating slightly as you do so.
Release ear lobe allowing ear canal to return to normal position & shape.
Wait 5 seconds, you should hear an obvious decrease & muffling effect ion ambient noise.
Repeat on opposite ear.
;)

I've got the Peltors. They work great for Rifle and pistol. Not so much for shotgun. My shotgun will knock my Over-the-Ears off.

My cheapo Caldwell E-MAX electronic muffs work just fine. Twenty five bucks now, and I think I actually got them a little cheaper. I can hear everything going on around me, but a loud boom becomes a muffled thud.:D

Keep in mind you will hear things you didn't hear before. First time I shot them at my Uncle's place, I heard a grinding sound I couldn't for the life of me find the source of.

Until we left.

And it was the windmill over the hill and across the highway.

I was thinking of getting an electronic earmuff from Walmart, but then I read a few threads here where people really liked the "Sonic Defender" earplugs (not really active, but sounds like it).

I use both simultaneously.

With the volume turned up on the electronic muffs, I can hear enough. When others on the line are talking too much, I can just turn the volume off.

Back