Actions: BDL vs. ADL vs. Model 7 (Differences)

Strabs

Forgive me everybody, but I'm not quite certain exactly what the differences are.
Local shop owners don't have much info...just assuming they don't know exact details either.

*The reason that I'm researching this, is in case I want to do upgrades/mods. in the future.

I have read elsewhere that BDL & ADL are the same (action) aside from the quirks that go with them: stainless, magazines, stocks, sights, etc...but is the Model 7 also the same action/reciever just with a smaller & lighter bbl. and smaller stock? OR are the models as designated (BDL,ADL,Model 7)all built on completely different actions?(whether smaller, milled for weight reduction, strength, mag. adaptation, floor plates,and so on?)

ALSO, if they happen to be all the same, can an ADL and/or Model 7 be modified for detach. mags?

As I understand (& mind you, I'm not a gun nut enough to know all the particulars - I just don't care all that much) the BDL is just a prettied up version of the ADL. Bit nicer wood, finish, jeweled bolt (just a polish job really) & has a floor plate (which is kinda nice). Asthetics mostly.
M7 is a smaller version (short action) of a cross between the BDL/ADL - nice wood, floorplate. Some parts are interchangeable, some aren't they have the same (similar) trigger - both nice for factory & very adjustable.

If $s an issue, go with the ADL as you can always pretty it up. Kinda fun to do a project rifle & the ADL is a superior base on which to start.

If you want lightweight - hard to beat the M7 & it can still use the "projects" to better it as well.

Rem makes some of the best out of the box rifles around, IMNSHO, and at a good price. Last I saw, ~$350 for an ADL in standard (30-06, etc.) actions - a bit more for belted mags.

"can an ADL and/or Model 7 be modified for detach. mags?"

All of my 7/700s scream for a nice detachable mag. I hate the square pieces of crap that Rem came out with a while back for their bolts. I do like the type on the pump/auto series -nice & rounded. Beats me. I guess a good 'smith could fix you up & after 35+ years of shooting 700s, I have never even looked into it - go figure.

We're missing Mr Mac about now .... he'd drop a book on ya, I betcha. Come back soon!

Rem. makes a detachable magazine 700. Friend down the street has one in .260 Rem.

Brownell's sells conversion kits, but they're pricey.

The BDL has a hinged floorplate, which is helpful for quick unloading. The ADL has a "blind" magazine, which gives a sleeker appearance (IMO) but has to be unloaded by pushing each round out of the magazine and picking it out of the action. (Note: If reassembling an ADL with a wood stock, make sure the magazine spring does not get under the magazine box as this will crack the stock when the screws are tightened.

The Model 7 AFAIK is built on the old Model 600 receiver, which is similar to the Model 700 but not the same.

Unless there is some very good reason to take down a Remington bolt, don't. That being said, if you must, clamp the bottom of the cocking piece in a vise, push the bolt handle forward until there is a gap between the bolt sleeve and the cocking piece. Insert a penny into the gap. Now you can unscrew the bolt body from the firing assembly. Do not remove the penny and do not take down the firing assembly any more. It is not necessary for any cleaning and is the devil to get back together.

Jim

Thanks for the thoughts. Now that I think about it, I'm going to move over to the smithing forums where I might get some more info.

If I'm not mistaken, there are both Model 7s and Model 7s Youth version, with a shorter what-do-you-call it, length of pull.

True, Futo.

The youth version doesn't have as nice wood (birch vs maple?) & the youth only runs to 7/08 rather than the .308 of the standard M7.

Again from a while back & memory.

The standard M7 can always be cut down for length of pull & there's always the custom shop options.

M7's (in .308) my fave for woods hunting & will do elk to 250+ with proper bullet/placement. That pretty much covers it for North America ('cept the bad boys that bite back).

My most handy "grab it" rifle. I've a few more M700s in .243, 30-06 & .22-250 but for an all-round package - give me my li'l M7.

Jim,

Remington now has a tool that can be used to disassemble the bolt on a 700. It looks like a plastic cylinder with knurling on the outside. It works very well but needs a little practice. After practice, it becomes extrememly easy to use. My friend and I bought one at Gander Mountain. I think it was priced under $10.

Jason

------------------
"Ray guns don't vaporize Zorbonians, Zorbonians vaporize Zorbonians" The Far Side

Back