Action Screws

Willkk

Inactive
How much torque should I put on the action screws of a mossberg atr 100? Is it different in the plasti stock or wooden? I am still waiting for my trigger guard to come in and will need to temporarily ditch the new Boyds stock and put the action back in the plastic stock it came in to go hunting this weekend. I can't find specs.

As scorch said,somewhere between 50 to 60 Inch Lbs. That will work, Now a guy did a test on something like 20 different rifles. What he found out is almost all of them did not shoot the best when set to factory settings. Over 80% shot the best when set somewhere between 30 and 40 Ich Lbs. Rear is always 5 inch Lbs more than front. It is something you would have to test on your own with each rifle you shoot.

You can Google this test and read the whole story also.

Round centerfire receivers in wood stocks have typically shot more accurate with about 40 in-lbs of torque. Any more has led to split webs in heavier recoiling rifles' tangs pushing down extra hard from barreled action vertical whip in recoil.

Flat bottom centerfire receivers do well with 60 in-lbs. Some folks don't use the back tang screw on Win 70 receivers free-floating the receiver from the trigger area back.

Round rimfire ones do best with 20 to 25 in-lbs of torque

Back