Action length .243 post 64 Model 70

Seem's to me that they are med length aren't they? Cartridges like the 223 usually come in short action's. I though there were short, med, standard and magnum?

Maybe, but I don't think so. Not sure when Winchester started making 243's, but I don't think a short action Winchester was introduced until 1984. Currently doing some more research.

Until 1984 all Winchesters were on long actions. That is according to my research. I may be incorrect on the exact year, but they only made long actions for quite a few years after 1964. For short cartridges they used a magazine block and shorter bolt stop.

The H&H magnums required the rear receiver bridge to be machined away to make the loading/ejection port longer along with a modified magazine. Still done that way today.

The primary reason for the 300 WM, 338WM, and 458 WM was to compete with the H&H magnum rounds, but fit a standard action. They were the original Winchester short magnums.

The current WSM's still fit a short action.

They did make a few Super short actions in the 1990's for the WSSM line of cartridges. But those are pretty rare.

No intermediate actions from Winchester. Other than a handful of WSSM's only long and short.

Yeah, I think jmr40 has it right. For several years, if you really wanted a short action, it would have to be something other than a Winchester model 70; probably a Remington 700, or 722, or 600, etc. It was a selling-point for Remington; though vastly over-rated.

Thanks for the info. I had no idea Winchester cheated and used long actions for short action cartridges. I just assumed they did things the right way. and scaled the action to the cartridge. Hmmmm.

No such thing as a "short, med, standard and magnum" in an M70. Short and Long actions is a Remington thing anyway. Mostly M700's. 'Magnum' isn't about the length. It's about strength by way of slightly thicker steel.
There is no right or wrong way either. There's just different manufacturers' ideas and marketing departments.

No such thing as a "short, med, standard and magnum" in an M70.
As jmr40 said, until about 1983 or 84 (when USRAC took over production), ALL Winchester M70s were the same length. The 308 family just had different magazine boxes from the standard length (30-06 and Win Mag length), and the H&H magnums had a longer magazine box and the rear of the front receiver ring was modified. There was not really an "intermediate" length, although the 7X57 family had their own magazine box (it was the same length as the 30-06 box, just marked differently).
It's about strength by way of slightly thicker steel
Nope, same receiver size, same heat treat, etc. The only difference was the bolt face for magnums, and a longer magazine box and the rear of the front receiver ring was modified for the H&H magnums.

No such thing as a "short, med, standard and magnum" in an M70.

For a long time this was true, it was one size fits all, which resulted in 22 Hornet cartridges swimming in an action long enough to fit a 375 H&H.

However at some point well after 1964 - I seem to remember it was later than 1984, perhaps in 1992 with the introduction of the Classic line - Winchester came out with a true short action that they used for cartridges from the 308 family and smaller.

If you look closely at the current Model 70 actions, you will find they are all the exact same 'external' length. They are machined differently so the ejection ports and bolt throw vary. It an ironic twist, this results in a 243 action that is heavier than a 300 win mag action. The 243 has less steel removed from the same size raw stock as the 30-06.

Now a company like CZ has 4 different size actions where they are a actually proportioned to the round. A short for the 223, a medium for the 243, a standard for the 30-06 and a magnum that will handle the 505 gibbs. This is also true of sako, who has at least 4 true sizes.

I belive Ruger has two true sizes. Real size differences. The 223 is chambered in a 243 size action. They dont make a 458Lott size since they dropped the big RSM action.

You could say the M70 is machined 3 or 4 different ways using the same action blank. One size, but; different actions, no spacers in the magazine. It makes for a great 375H&H not so much for a light woods rifle in any medium length ctg. Kimber does a great job of sizing the actions to the round. The Remington Model 7 is sized "just right" for the 308 family. The later two are sized in both diameter and length.

If you look closely at the current Model 70 actions, you will find they are all the exact same 'external' length. They are machined differently so the ejection ports and bolt throw vary.

That may be the way they are doing it now, but at one point Winchester made at least three sizes, long for 30-06+, short for 308 and WSM and super short for WSSM.

No way are CURRENT M70s actions all the same external length. JMR40 has this covered. But, just to add a bit more, the action screw hole spacing on a long action is about 7-5/8", while the short action is about 7". The discontinued super short was about 6-5/8". If you don't believe me, try to bolt up a 30-06 stock to a .243, or vice versa. I have no idea where fourbore is getting his info from (pre-64?), but it is definitely not correct for current manufacture, or Classics either. Just trying to clear up this mess! :D If I was smarter, I would post pics of all three action lengths.

Back