Action job/spring weights on S&W 640

SigMark

Inactive
I'm getting ready to have an action/trigger job done on my girlfriend's S&W 640. Any reccomendations on Wolff Springs to use? They offer hammer springs in 8, 8.5 & 9 pounds and rebound springs in 11,12,13,14,15 & 16 pounds. Wolff says the factory rebound spring is 18 pounds. No word on the factory hammer spring weight. This is for a carry gun so absolute reliability is essential. Thanks!

SigMark,

I've replaced the mainspring and return spring on all my S&W revolvers with the lightest Wolff springs that will still pop Federal primers. But I only use my revolvers for target shooting.

Since your application is for carry, I would advise you to leave the mainspring alone. You really don't want an untimely light primer hit. I've swapped out enough of these to know the reduced power mainsprings can be pretty close to the fine line of unreliability.

I'd probably also leave the rebound spring alone, but depending on how smooth your gun's internals are, you should be able to drop to a 13# --> 14# spring with out any trouble. Just make very sure you trigger is resetting okay, even when the gun is dirty and low on lube.

Good Luck...

Joe

What Joe said.

Plus...another rebound test is have the lady fire as fast as she can while you are screaming at her and dropping empties. Sometimes failure to reset the trigger is more the fault of the shooter short strokin the trigger than a spring factor. The stock spring will push the finger back fairly well, thus hiding poor tecnique. Double taps will test the shooter and spring. Don't need to run the whole cylinder out there.

Check with Rangemaster before double tapping or extremely rapid fire. Also limit the total amount of rapid fire. It is quite hard on the stainless Smiths.

Sam

I assume the Main Spring is the Hammer Spring? Thanks very much for the info. There seems to be a wide range of opinions on the subject. It's quite diconcerting to think the wrong springs could cause a failure to fire.

I would like my defensive wheelguns to be capabile of reliably touching off rifle primers. That way I will have no problem with a "hard" pistol primer. Easy and safe to test. Just prime a few otherwise empty cases with rifle primers and see how it does.

Rebound spring has no effect on hammer strike.

Sam

One good way to smooth things up without worrying about spring wieght is to just polish the internals....nice smooth pull and not to light.....

CR..curious, why is rapid fire harder on stainless smiths...have a 60 myself....

Back