Acraglas Gel

Blindstitch

Just bedded my rifle and I was looking at the directions and it said I can remove the action from the stock in 10 hours and shoot after 2 days. Is it going to be any easier or harder to remove after 10 hours?

Was thinking about setting it and forgetting it for a few days just to make sure it's all good to go. Any problems with that?

There are probably some advantages and disadvantages both ways.

I've had good luck with the gel.I wouldn't worry too much,either way,myself.

But instead of listening to me,call a tech rep at Brownells.

I'll probably give it a bit longer but I'm feeling better now. A few hours ago the scrap on the cardboard felt like a milk dud and now It feels a bit harder. I found some other directions that suggested 72 degrees was the best temp to do the work in and my place is a bit colder.

I hope the release agent that comes in the kit is good because I put 3 coats of it on and don't want a huge fight getting it out. Best part is I still have a lot of it left over for other projects.

I don't use those products made to bed rifles much. My favorite bedding compound is J.B. Weld. I suspect what apply's to one product's apply's to all of them. I let the barrel action set up for about one hour and then tork down the action screw. Never timed how long I lt it sit before removing the barrel action, Guess four or five hours or even over night. Once the stuff set's up I'd think it's good to go. Used Birchwood Casey stuff a lot and pretty much same routine. Leaving it longer can't hurt a thing though. Don't worry about the release agent, you put it in right it works. I use auto wax for a release agent and never stuck one.

"...at least overnight..." Yep. If it's easy to get the stock off after the bedding isn't right. I have to thump the muzzle on something soft to get the stock off my Cooey with an M70A stock.

I must have done it right. It was a pain to remove but it came out eventually. Things cleaned up nicely and it has a nice healthy freefloat. And my front action screw actually tightens down again without a washer.

I only wish I didn't have to take the scope off but now I have a reason to hit the range when it warms up a bit.

DF:

How has the JB Weld worked for you over time? Does the epoxy go bad after some years or react to anything?

I used the kit sold by Midway(1) and had great results on a Ruger American rifle in a Boyd's stock, but I was left with a lot left over and a year+ until my next stock. Not willing to re-use year+ old open epoxy on a gun I care about. JB Weld comes in smaller increments and gets used up more quickly.

(1) Great kit, came with all the expendable materials a noob needs. Made this noob look like I knew what I was doing.

Never had one go bad with anything I've used. I don't spend a week hunting and leave the gun outside every night either or worse laying in the canoe. I think people that have the best luck with their rifle's take care of them.

Back