ACOC vs. Elcan

Ossi

I would like to hear comments from people familiar with Trijicon ACOG and Leitz Elcan how these scopes compare against each other, or against other potential competitors (low power scopes with low light capability). Both are MilSpec accepted, and both are meant for the same work, to enhance riflemans accuracy, but not work as a sniper scope. Mine will sit on top of a semiauto Sig SG550 (I already have a Sig mount with weaver base, but no scope). BTW, I already ordered a 4x32 ACOG from Botach Tactical (in LA) more than a month ago but it seems they have completely lost my order. I have got no scope nor answer from them what happened to my order, so I might as well reconsider both scope brand and place to purchase one. Ossi

I ordered one of the ACOG scopes a long time ago for a flat-top AR15, but after waiting for several months I cancelled the order and bought an Elcan for less. I can't say anything about the ACOG as I have never owned or shot one, but I do like the Elcan. One drawback is the eye relief. I had wanted to put a flip up rear sight behind the Elcan as an emergency iron sight, but the eye relief on the Elcan is so short, you really need to mount it at the rear of the receiver. I guess that won't be a problem for you on your SIG. Anyway, very clear optics, good light gathering and a good reticle. I used it at a match a couple of weeks ago. I had removed it and used the carry handle sight for a match that didn't allow optics. Remounted the Elcan and proceeded to shoot 1" groups in the A zone at an IPSC match. Tritium tip on the reticle is nice in low light, though I haven't had occasion to shoot it at night/dusk.

------------------
Dorsai
Personal weapons are what raised mankind out of the mud, and the rifle is the queen of personal weapons. The possession of a good rifle, as well as the skill to use it well, truly makes a man the monarch of all he surveys.
-- Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

Back