accurizing an AK

plinker

Inactive
I have a Saiga 7.62x39 hunting rifle which I bought becuse of the AK's reputation for reliability. Are there parts available to increase the accuracy of this rifle? Thanks.

Can't answer your question directly. I do know that the heart of any accurate rifle rests with its barrel. Everything else serves an adjunct function and are no more than bells and whistles when the barrel is poor.

Once you have a good barrel (HS Precision, Hart, Obermeyer, Krieger, etc) you've got to handload to find the ideal match for your barrel. You should also have a Stony Point chamber gauge to measure throat erosion.

Even if you get a match barrel, don't be too disappointed if it doesn't shoot as well as others. While a lot does depend on an individual's skill, semiautos are hard pressed to best a bolt-gun when it comes to accuracy. A bolt gun's inherent rigidity and few moving parts (thus more consistency and less flex) gives it an edge over semiautos - including H&K's PSG1.

I've worked on my own Smith Enterprise M14, but it will never be as good or hold up as long as my Remingtons. Like my instructor said, "Don't expect to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear." If you do proceed with your project, have fun and please keep us posted. Tinkering is half the fun of shooting. :)

Back