Accurate TCM and Ramshot Silhouette powders

SS130AFM

Inactive
Hi all..
Since I can’t locate any of my usual Alliant blue dot or power pro 300mp powder in South Carolina.
I now have 5#s of each of the TCM and Silhouette and have the recommended load data for each. The TCM powder lists load data for 357 and 41 magnum but nothing for my personal favorite the 44 magnum.
I’d like to draw upon the members knowledge and see if anyone has tried with success using either brands for the 44 magnum or 44 special, if so would you please share the data with me. Ill be using new Starline cases and large pistol primers.
I be reloading for my S&W 29-6, S&W 629-1, S&W 686 and in my 1894S rifle.
Thanks for any input good or bad...

Attachments

• 5B1F607D-2BC3-4CD3-A297-7FA286C598A7.png
    5B1F607D-2BC3-4CD3-A297-7FA286C598A7.png
    563.7 KB · Views: 50
  • 7D97AA8C-8501-4297-A1DB-4B70A03465FD.png
    7D97AA8C-8501-4297-A1DB-4B70A03465FD.png
    349.1 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
I don't have a lot for you. But I'll share what I know . . .

I tried Ramshot Silhouette. Bought a # of it just for the heck of it. I only tested it in 38 Special. I still have about 15oz of that #. Anyway, I found it surprisingly fast burning. I tried to make a good performing 38+P round, using Speer's 110g GDHPSB bullet. I could not get them to perform as well as the factory load - its burn rate is just too fast.

I do load for 44 Mag and Spl. I would not even consider using Silhouette for any magnum application. I could imagine making light weight bullet (200gn or so) 44 Special ammo with it; but that's about it.

P.S. I'm not knocking Silhouette. I'm sure it's great when it's used properly. And I'll find a good use for the remaining 15oz I'm sure. Probably 115gn 9mm range shooter rounds.

I tried Ramshot Silhouette. Bought a # of it just for the heck of it. I only tested it in 38 Special. I still have about 15oz of that #. Anyway, I found it surprisingly fast burning. I tried to make a good performing 38+P round, using Speer's 110g GDHPSB bullet. I could not get them to perform as well as the factory load - its burn rate is just too fast.

I do load for 44 Mag and Spl. I would not even consider using Silhouette for any magnum application. I could imagine making light weight bullet (200gn or so) 44 Special ammo with it; but that's about it.

P.S. I'm not knocking Silhouette. I'm sure it's great when it's used properly. And I'll find a good use for the remaining 15oz I'm sure. Probably 115gn 9mm range shooter rounds.
Many thanks for sharing your experience and knowledge.

I love Silhouette - just not for 44mag. Sil is a mid-range powder with a quirk - negative temp coefficient. As a mid-range powder it produces velocities a little above 44spl, but I usually use faster powders for that.

Love Sil for 45acp and 9mm.
https://sites.google.com/site/hobby...s-w-329pd-info#TOC-Load-Data-and-Observations

I've used a lot of Silhouette in 44 mag with great success. It won't give the highest velocities, but is very accurate with light to medium weight bullets. These loads are all safe in my 629 Classic 6½".
Some of my most accurate loads:
13.0 gr. CCI300 primer Speer 200 Gold Dot @ 1.615" OAL 1275 fps
12.5 gr. CCI300 primer Hornady 240 XTP @ 1.60" OAL 1225 fps
12.0 gr. CCI300 primer Gardner's Cache 265 SWC GC @ 1.68" OAL 1125 fps

Thank y’all for the information

@black mamba @totaldla I really appreciate your responses to my questions. Again thank you

Back