Accuracy work

BuckWheat

I need some help. I recently purchased a Remington 700 VS in a 22-250. The accuracy is not what I expected. I'm getting 3/4 to 1 1/2 inch groups with a wide variety of ammo, and nearly every 4 shat group has a flier in it. I want to get the thing accurized, but I want to make sure I don't throw good money after bad. If I could get consistent 1/2 inch groups with no fliers, I'd be happy.

Many shops offer a variety of accurizing work. Most of which perform Action truing, lug lapping, etc. My first question is: Will this type of work take care of my problem without having to replace the factory barrel? My second choice is to simply get one of these shops to install a premium barrel and include the other misc truing services as part of the install. Naturally, this is more expensive, but if I can't get decent groups out of my factory barrel, then this is the way I want to go.

What I'm looking for are options and suggestions. Also, can anyone recommend someone who will do a quality job? thanks for your help!

Buckwheat,
Before spending alot of money on lug lapping and a new barrel, may I suggest that you have the action glass bedded and have the barrel free floated. The combination of these two things may get you the groups that you are looking for.
These are things you can do yourself or have a gunsmith do. Even with a new barrel the free float and bedding will usually improve the groups that your rifle will shoot.
My Best To You, John K

JK, I agree that glass bedding and floating the barrel should help. I do accuracy work on these rifles from simple bedding to blueprinting the actions. You can e-mail me if you like and I'll send you a complete quote. George

You may want to check out benchrest.com - More than a few "world class" benchrest smiths also do stuff on varmint rifles... I'd recommend Paul Dorsey, Ron Hoehn, Clarence Hammonds or Speedy Gonzales.

Bedding and free-floating will give you about 50% of your total benefit for any work on the gun you can do. Recrowning will give you the most improvement after that. Lapping the lugs doesn't do that much and is a bit drastic to do without first attempting the others. Not saying it's a bad thing to do, but it is a bit drastic if you aren't going to also replace the barrel. Other things are a trigger job, pillar bedding, and (arguably) cryogenic treatment.

My opinion: I'd free-float and glass bed. If you still aren't satisfied, have a gunsmith recrown and do a trigger job. If you STILL aren't satisfied, you are either not that good of a shot, or you are a good enough shot to warrant a good, quality bull barrel. Lapping the lugs is best done in conjunction with rebarrelling.

1)Pillar bed action and free float barrel (.020 min).

2)Blueprint reciever and change barrel.
Consists of lapping lugs, truing bolt face, truing receiver face, pick quality barrel, cut match chamber and crown barrel (I developed my own crown) - all this should guarantee 1/2 MOA.

Start over with different receiver. Having said this, Rem 700 should be able to get 1/2 MOA - 1 MOA with factory barrel. Hopefully it wasn't built on a Monday or a Friday. I guarantee 1/2 MOA on all blueprinted Rem 700 I build, average is about .400 between three shots at 100 yards.

Hopefully not a stupid question but what's a ballpark figure for blueprinting & bbl change?

Rifle's already freefloated & glass bedded & the trigger's not too shabby - old .243 Rem 700 ADL ...

Would like to maintain as much original configuration re bbl profile (stock sporter) - no stainless.

Too, would rebarreling require new bedding?

Just curious .... & thanks

Labgrade, in my shop $285.00 plus the barrel, bluing and return shipping. Since the contour of your original barrel can be matched there shouldn't be a change in the bedding.

Thanks for the quick reply, George.

Any recommendations for a barrel? I've 1X shooter with a custom match Shillen = couldn't be more happy. Got that through JDJones & forget what the "premium" was over his standard grade bbl.

I'd assume there's a few other match grade bbl supplies out there but I have zip for knowledge in this regard.

What we talking about for a bbl cost - standard factory vs match grade?

Labgrade, a Shilen like the one you mentioned, a Douglas Premium or any good barrel that is air-gaged and guarantees tolerances of .0005" or less. I was talking to the folks at Douglas and found out an interesting tidbit. Their standard XX bbl has a guaranteed tolerance of .0005" and their Premium is .0001". They will make a run of say 100 barrels in a certain caliber. If they need 25 Premium barrels they air gage those 100 until they find 25 that meet the Premium specs. So even if you buy just a XX you are just about as likely to get a premium barrel as you are to get one that has the .0005" tolerance. I've got targets on the wall of my shop from rifles I've rebarreled using the XX and the premium barrels. You can't tell from the groups for sure which is which. Most of them are under 1/2MOA. You could probably find a factory take-off bbl for $75 or less. A Douglas Premium is about $100 more and I believe Shilen runs about the same. Douglas "standard" XX bbls run around $140. George

Back