Accuracy Tip

Status
Not open for further replies.

Will Beararms

Recently, a Green Beret from the Vietnam era imparted a wisdom pearl that has improved my shooting accuracy with all makes and models of the semi-auto handgun. It may not work for you but I'm sold on it. It now is second nature. Essentially, I now lock the index finger of the left supporting hand with the pinky of the right hand or vice-versa if you go south paw. My most noticable area of improvement is the first long pull shot from a traditional double action pistol. I no longer tend to pull shots with the trigger hand. I shoot with both the right hand and left hand and have realized success on both accounts. Hope this helps

------------------
"When guns are outlawed;I will be an outlaw."

Will,

Thanks for the tip. Does this method work equally well for both the Isosolese and Weaver grips? I used to shoot weaver, until I noticed that my accuracy was inconsistant due to the differences in tension. After getting tired, esp., my accuracy went way off, compared to when I shot fresh. I always resisted the isosolese, but after shooting pistols with the same consistant, grip and letting the recoil do what it wants with the particular load, I found that sight recovery following the muzzle flip was more consistant and overall accuracy improved.

It sounds like the finger lock method you are talking about helps the grip to be more consistant and therefore increasing accuracy, like the iso grip/stance does for me. What do you think? Its a nice day outside today. I think I'll put it to a test.

Robert

------------------
"But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip; and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." -Jesus Christ (Luke 22:36, see John 3:15-18)

Equalizer: The Weaver stance takes too much thought for me. I am much more comfortable standing with feet about shoulder width apart and with my head in the normal position versus cocked to one side or the other or lurched forward. I tend to bring the weapon up to my eyes instead of positioning my eyes to the handgun. If the target is below my line of sight, I go to my knees. I am a big fan of outdoor shooting where I can shoot from car windows with the door open and at multiple targets spaced at interval lengths. We utilize the hunting lease for this purpose. I strongly advise shooting in one of those Shoot/no shoot courses if possible. It will change your way of thinking. Perfect practice makes perfect.

------------------
"When guns are outlawed;I will be an outlaw."

Will,

I tried the method this weekend, but only had time for one box of ammo. I don't think I noticed a difference between that and grasping the front of my shooting fingers, overlapped by the support fingers. I think with more time and testing, I might see improvement, but not sure yet.

Do you know why you are less likely to pull shots and get more accuracy from the support hand essentially under the shooting hand, with index finger over lapping pinky: as oppossed to a higher support hand over lapping all three shooting hand fingers?

I agree with you about the weaver. Although I find the weaver works better for me than isosolese at certain angles, like quick shots hard left (I'm righthanded), I too use a modified iso. now 90% of the time. I only use a modified weaver as an optional meathod in practice for special circumstances.

------------------
"But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip; and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." -Jesus Christ (Luke 22:36, see John 3:15-18)

If I understand correctly about the grip, you are supporting the pistol from below. The purpose of the Weaver stance is to control recoil, which is why the right arm is fairly straight and the left is pulling back in a "dynamic tension" style. Your grip cannot be effective at recoil control...Again, if I understand you without a picture.

I did a great amount of IPSC shooting at one time; about three years' worth. I never had the problems with the Weaver stance that you mention. It seems to me that when it becomes reflex, and you use it without doing any conscious thinking about what you're doing, those problems just don't arise. However, it takes, I guess, several hundred rounds per week and a lot of dry-firing to get to the auto-reflex condition...

Caveat: I only shoot single-action autos.

FWIW, Art

You can practice whatever you want but there is no reason to fight instinct. Even if you practice Weaver for 20 years, when the SHTF you will naturally revert back to the isoscles. Square to the target,slight crouch, gun at eye level, convulsive grip on gun. You can see this watching things like Scarriest Police Shootouts or whatever. Col. Rex Applegate realized this years ago when he wrote Kill, or be Killed. It took some time to impart this to my students, but now they shoot much better. For target shooting you can improve your accuracy by pointing both your toes directly at the target instead of bowed out to the sides.

------------------
When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back