Accuracy of Sig p220 vs 1911

MusclesMcGee

Just curious, I have never shot the Sig. I passed one up when shopping for a Kimber. How accurate is the Sig 220 compared to a similarly priced 1911 ?

I have owned both.
So I will offer an opinion:

The Sig P220 is a very accurate automatic.
The 1911 is also very accurate.

If I would attempt to put a generality on this issue I would say ON AVERAGE the 1911 is more accurate due to the longer sight radius and its consistant SA trigger.

Okay - this was a can of worms...

------------------
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud
Hey - have you seen the new Ultimate Super Tactical Match Gun?

I'm with George. I have both the 220 and a Kimber. Both are way more accurate than I need.

If your looking for extreme accuracy in a .45, your going to have to spend the $$$ for a Wilson/Baer/Red River and invest in a significant amount of ammo for testing.

In the end you'll have a .45 that will group a magazine in 1.5 inches at 50 yards.

That's about as good as it gets.

Unless you shoot a lot of bullseye matches, it seems to be spurious precision. The difference between 4 inches at 50 yards and 1.5 is about a thousand bucks.

Giz

------------------
"I don't make enough money to buy cheap stuff" - Mark Manning

Muscles,

I certainly concur with the prior posts to this thread.

I own a Sig P220 and a Kimber Custom/Classic stainless. Both designs are VERY accurate, reliable and well made. The Kimber may be marginally more accurate, due to barrel length and sight radius -- but both automatics offer far more accuracy than I am able to provide.

You will be most pleased with either purchase, and I suggest you eventually get both.

Now - this was all said understanding that a longer tube doesn't mean it is more accurate...
It means its easier to shoot it more accurately. I Know many a Thompson/Center Contender with a 8 inch tube that can out shoot a rifle with a 26 incher.
The trick is getting a hold of that accuracy. Then again - thats the quest - isnt it?

Can you shoot good enough to tell the difference?

------------------
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud
Hey - have you seen the new Ultimate Super Tactical Match Gun?

Just for a different POV, at the price point ($500-550) out of the box, I'd go with the SIG, but I've been shooting my 226 longer (I just got my first 1911 - a Kimber stainless compact - in August-)M2

I think the 1911 can be made potentially more accurate as there is a lot of work that you can put into it. Match barrel, longer link, honed trigger, tightened rails, etc. Doing this isn't cost effective when compared to a Sig though (out of the box, there's nothing to do).

Given a choice between the two, I'd take the Sig.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

First of all, let me state that I am a 1911 man all the way. I have 4 of the little beasties. With all that said, my SIG P-220 will outshoot them as far as accuracy goes. I guess the point is, how much accuracy do you need in a combat handgun? I think minute of man would be sufficient. As most confrontations are stated to be within 7 yards, how much accuracy do you need? Under these circumstances, I want 100 % reliability. I don't figure I'll have time to bother with "tap, rack, bang" drills, thank you very much. A 1911 that does 6 inches at 25 yards is fine by me. Sure. I'd love to have one of those custom combat guns like the Thunder Ranch Special, or the copy of the FBI HRT .45. Frankly, my wallet says "No way!"
I enjoy shooting my .45s anyway.
Paul B.

I had a 220 and loved it until I realized that I had hit a block of some sort with the 11lbs. trigger. I just could not keep that first DA shot from pulling.

I tried a Glock 21 and a Kimber. The light weight trigger made all the difference in the world. Much better groups. Now I have a Glock 21 and the 5lbs. trigger makes all the difference in the world.

But, though I love the Glock, I have my eyes set on a stainless Kimber come refund time. The 220 is solid, reliable and very accurate. That said, the 1911 was also solid, accurate and very reliable.

I don't know if this helps, but my .02 for what it's worth.

------------------
Blev

Well, I went ahead and got the Kimber last week. The purchase was based on the fact I wanted an accurate piece for the range, and not so much for home protection. Plus I shot the Kimber and really like the way it handled. Unforunately I have yet to shoot any of Sig Sauer's products. But based on the responses here about that gun, maybe next time I'll g ahead and get the p220.

Back