accuracy of M971(Rossi)

longbow

I normally carry my CCO with me where ever I can do so. I have this Rossi which I have had since they were first introduced. Haven't shot it that much but to sight it in and break the gun in. Mostly have carried some sort of .45 the past doz. years or so. Bought the Rossi cause the price was right and I liked the looks. Anyways as luck would have it a couple of years ago when walking down the stairs dumped the gun out of the holster and broke the rears sight off. No it wasn't loaded. Got a new rear sight and never did sight it in. Well went to the range Thurs. with a hundred rds. of Cor Bon 125's, and 110 grainers. The accuracy after sighting it in at 20 yds was amazing. With either load the I was shooting right about 2" from a rest. Twice that off hand and kind of fast, not as deliberate and double action. I can't do much better with my CCO. Recoil wasn't as objectionable as I remembered and didn't get any spitting of lead out of the sides of the forcing cone either. Granted doesn't have that many rounds through the gun but still all in all pretty good shooter. I have had the gun for the past 4 yrs locked up in the gun cabinet. Now rethinking my carry options. Seems kind of neat to have a nice chunk of steel on ones hip carrying a timeless and street proven load. Especially in the year 2000! I think the gun was purchased in 94(?) maybe 93 when they were first introduced. I know I didn't carry it hardly at all cause of my affection for the .45acp. Well anyways keep'em sharp and Happy Millenium.

You're luckier than I am. I've had a 971 for about 6 months and must have fired three or four hundred rounds through it and still can't get in the bullseye. Everything wants to go left. Mine's the snubby version so I don't even think about shooting at the 20 yard mark--10's the limit of my effectiveness and even then, for whatever reason, I've got to aim to the right of the silhouette. I've adjusted the sights and adjusted the sights and adjusted the sights. The only thing I can do now is aim at the target in the next lane in order to hit mine. I've got an old Rossi .22 revolver snubbie that's deadly.

I love the weight, feel, and look of the 971 and it seemed to be a bargain at the time, but now I'm beginning to believe it's just an effective noise maker. But, boy is it ever one of those! It looks like the space shuttle taking off whenever you shoot it--even with the factory flash suppressor...

I might not hit 'em, but I scare the sh** out of 'em.

------------------
Triggers exist to be pulled... again and again.

Gremlin mine is the 2.5" uported version! It has the BEST s/a pull of any revolver I have ever tried. Don't know why you don't get accuracy from your's. Your's must be the ported one of the time with the extra barrel length on it. Is the sight moved all the way to the right? Mine is almost over that far. Not quite but almost. Sounds like maybe the barrel should tightened a tad more. Can't believe mine shoots that good. Can't believe your's shoots that far off the mark. I was out shooting a fella next to me that had a Glock .40, the really small compact. Not only that but when I had gotten done, enough so I know I can hit what I aim at, I went back into the store and discovered they had there .357 ammo from Cor Bon on sale at 12 bucks a box. Bought two boxes. It was the 20 rd boxes. Full power 125 grs. Take your gun to a competent gun smith and see what he can do for you. Maybe the barrel is bent some how. Only explanation I can think of right off hand. That or the extra length of barrel creates some kind of disturbance outside the barrel where the bullet gets upset by it as it leaves the tube. Maybe just cutting it off and having the end of the barrel milled or something. Hey good luck and keep'em sharp

Back