Accuracy loads for S&W 629 Classic?

Ruben Nasser

Hola amigos!! I'm the proud owner of a new 6.5" 44mag. 629 Classic (...made circa 1996). I've read before about the "endurance and accuracy package" these guns have, and I know first hand about the excellent accuracy of a couple of friend's guns. Now the questions:
Should I keep the loads a bit down, and if so, at what power level? I like shooting a lot, and even though I have many guns I would like them to last.
What accuracy loads could you recommend, at the various power levels?
Which is the proper lead bullet size for this revolver? The throats seems to be about .430", and the bore .429".
Thanks in advance.

In the past, the S&W .44 Magnum had a reputation for beating itself apart very quickly with full-power loads. To S&W's credit, they worked on the problems and the newer models such as yours are much better guns. Now, many Smith .44 Magnum users shoot thousands of rounds without a problem.

In the past, most Model 29 shooters used light .44 loads ifor everyday shooting and full-power loads only for business purposes. This saved wear and tear on the shooter and the gun. Probably still not a bad idea. If you want to shoot a steady diet of full-house magnum loads -- especially the hot Garret-type loads -- I recommend you get a Ruger, Dan Wesson or Freedom Arms gun and let your Smith do light duty.

Elmer Keith's classic "standard heavy" handload was a 250 gr. "Keith" style bullet (Lyman 429421 -- .429 in. diameter) over 22 grs. of 2400 and standard primers. (This is a hot load and should be worked up with caution!) The same bullet over 4 grs. of Bullseye or 7.5 grs. of Unique makes a good lighter load. Again, work your loads up from smaller increments for safety's sake. For plinking, I like a 180 gr. LWC at around 850-900 fps. Check your reloading manuals for specifics.

As for the strength of Ruger vs. Smith & Wesson, H.P. White labs ran tests on a Super Blackhawk and a S&W .44 Mag. Both cylinders failed at 80,ooo PSI. 2400 is a little hotter, today, so 22 grains is a little hot for a Keith 250 gr. bullet. I've found 17.5 to be safe and plenty of power for any purpose if used with a good bullet. Beartooth Bullets sells some very fine cast bullets. Old Reb's recommendations, for pleasant loads, are my favorites also. 4 or 5 grs. of Bullseye gives a very accurate and mild load, while 7.5 grs. of Unique makes a fine defensive load. All with hard-cast, 250 gr. Keith bullets. You've got a great gun! Enjoy it!

Hi, Ruben. I have had good results in my 29 and 629 with the 190 grain cast bullet from Midway being pushed with 8 grains of Unique. Its hotter than mild, but by no means abusive to the gun. I think you will like that load. I wholeheartedly agree with the other posters. Smith and Wessons and a steady diet of hot loads don't mix. I have seriously been thinking about adding a Ruger Redhawk to my collection for satisfying the need for speed. 629 Classics are a dream to shoot and the action on them is infinitely superior to anything anyone else makes in 44 magnum. But there is a trade off. You are really going to like that gun, I think. Have fun.

Well, I don't have the time to reload a whole lot anymore...I HAVE HAD excellent results in my 29's and 629's with Federal's 240-gr. and 250-gr. loads...seem to shoot REAL WELL in all the S&W .44's I've fired over the years...even the "American Eagle" offering....mikey357

Back